That's the way Chuck Berry plays it, you understand?!"

lueders

Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:04 am

Is it just me or is there strangely something compelling and entertaining about this clip? lol!

This is from the 1987 movie Hail, Hail. If you're a Chuck Berry fan and you haven't ever
seen it be sure and check it out. It got me thinking about what a debt Rock N Roll owes Chuck Berry in terms of style and songwriting. He's a great storyteller lyrically. He has underrated voice as well. (INMHO) I can't think of anyone who's guitar style is as iconic, accessible, and prevalent across genres as Chuck's.

I would argue he may very well be one of the most influential musicians ever. Besides Elvis, Coltrane and the Beatles there is really only Chuck. (At least that I can think of...)

Help me out folks, who am I missing?

willem

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:22 am

That was fun Cori..

daryl

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:24 am

No tension in that room. But when they are all playing the music, look at them smile!

dennisg

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:48 am

I think you're missing Bo Diddley from the list of influencers. Sure, there's Elvis, the Beatles and Chuck Berry, but only Bo Diddley has an entire style of rhythmic guitar playing named after him because it was so unique and inventive.

In terms of pure influence, I might also add the Everly Brothers to the list. They influenced the influencers.

This was really a fascinating video, Cori, and it's vintage Chuck Berry -- irascible nature and all, sometimes referring to himself in the third person. Thanks for posting it.

dekotaj

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:58 am

Hey Cori.

Nice vid.I guess when you get worked out who is in charge the music just seems to work.Like Daryl said,all smiles at the end.

Kevin

tovo

Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:57 am

I was pretty impressed with Keith Richards. He wasn't at all intimidated by Chuck and I think many would have been. I was also in wonder of how easily he picked up what Chuck wanted him to play. Awesome. Still, he IS Keith Richards!

dennisg

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:51 am

I once saw something Chuck Berry was involved in that was both hilarious and tragic. Many years ago, when I still lived in Los Angeles, Jamie and I went to a Chuck Berry concert at the Roxy Theater in Hollywood. Chuck was doing his usual thing and the audience was really enjoying him. You know how, right before a solo, on a cue from the band leader the band just stops and everyone looks at the person who's about to do the solo? That's what happened that night. Chuck gave the cue to stop by dipping his guitar neck, and everyone stared at the bass player. Unfortunately, the guy was apparently zoning out and had absolutely no idea where he was, what he was doing, or what century he was in. He panicked for a couple of seconds, then realized he was supposed to play something, then started playing the most god-awful bass run in some other key.

It was weirdly funny and oddly uncomfortable. And knowing Chuck's legendary temper, I wouldn't be surprised if he fired the guy.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:42 pm

That was a very good documentary and great window into both of them.

I saw Chuck here about 20 years back. He just hops on a plane with his guitar and arrives a shortly before the concert and the band is made up of locals and he just goes on stage and it all happens live... that's the way he does it. So I guess at the concert you saw Dennis, the baseman just wasn't in the know. He would never have played with Chuck again anyway.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic