Zeppelin "borrowed"

BRBbrb

Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:12 pm

Actually I have heard The Rain Song was lifted also. Basically LZ I-IV is. After that they came into their own. I agree; just acknowledge it & no one would care.

unclewalt

Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:05 pm

"Frankly I dont care. Of course they were inspired by others."

Well, first, this was a lot more than being "inspired," as has been made quite clear in this thread. It was wholesale theft.

You might not care, but some of the people who died poor or simply not rich after having their work stolen probably did, as did their families. Page got rich on their songs, and they didn't. I don't know the particular circumstances of any of the victims' finances, or whether any of them ultimately, through the courts, got what they would have gotten had they received their due credit (and legally/ethically just royalties) from the get-go. But they deserved those royalties, and were basically ripped off by Page, even though he played the Les Paul really well.

As for whether "the industry" would have allowed such a thing to happen. C'mon. It happened all the time - throughout the history of recorded music. Zep was just a particularly bad actor, but there were others. This also has no bearing on whether the band deserves honors - of course it does. It was one of the best bands in rock history, nobody's disputing that.

BRBbrb

Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:01 pm

Yeah; no one would care. Just like we didn't care Hendrix recorded other's music. I am definitely scratching my head. Wonder what Buddy Guy was thinking during the award ceremony?

BRBbrb

Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:07 pm

Neil sure knows the history of R&R-very cool!

neverfoundthetime

Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:41 pm

Hey Barb, you still out there?
Don't go stirring the old folks with these tales of song steeling :-).

I actually hadn't heard any of this.... not sure if I have any thoughts on it.

Walt, the guys who had their material copied from did not become one cent poorer because someone "borrowed" their ideas and made money and success out of it. But they would be due something if the world was fair....

unclewalt

Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:54 pm

"did not become one cent poorer because someone "borrowed" their ideas"

That's true. But then, intellectual property law (not to mention common decency) doesn't use that metric to determine whether harm has been done, which is why Zep had to pay out some undetermined sums to settle lawsuits by, among others, Chess Records, for Zeppelin's wanton infringements on copyrights for songs by Howlin' Wolf and Willie Dixon. Another suit, filed by Jake Holmes, who opened for the Yardbirds when Page was with them, was filed just a few years ago. Holmes wrote the song in the video below.

If those and the many other songs had been properly credited from the get-go, those men and many others probably would have gotten a lot more exposure, and hence made more money than just the royalties they were jacked out of.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic