WHAT'S THE ONE IMPROBABLE TUNE THAT IF NEIL EVER DID A LESSON ON YOU WOULD BE SO EXCITED ABOUT Y

lueders

Thu May 30, 2013 8:28 am

Interesting choice, John...interesting choice indeed! :laugh:

kelemenj

Fri May 31, 2013 9:32 am

OK. So in light of the 2 stellar Doors covers by Dennis and Al, I would love to see a lesson on 'The Soft Parade'. It can be broken down into 4 sections. One being a fingerpicking progression over the 'can you give me sanctuary' part. Another being the jazzy chords over the 'Peppermint Miniskirts...' part. You have a different chord progression over 'Catacombs, Nursery bones...', and finally a totally righteous, and groovy vamp based on a repeating 3 note motif in the bass line. No doubt in my mind that Neil and Vanessa could figure a way to distill it down to a one guitar arrangement. Now that would excite me.
Listened to the song again trying to work out some parts. The 'Successful Hills....' part has a different bass part. Sounds like octaves. Still mostly stumped on the 2nd section.

lueders

Fri May 31, 2013 9:54 am

kelemenj wrote:
OK. So in light of the 2 stellar Doors covers by Dennis and Al, I would love to see a lesson on 'The Soft Parade'. It can be broken down into 4 sections. One being a fingerpicking progression over the 'can you give me sanctuary' part. Another being the jazzy chords over the 'Peppermint Miniskirts...' part. You have a different chord progression over 'Catacombs, Nursery bones...', and finally a totally righteous, and groovy vamp based on a repeating 3 note motif in the bass line. No doubt in my mind that Neil and Vanessa could figure a way to distill it down to a one guitar arrangement. Now that would excite me.
Hmmm...yeah I like the way you think. That WOULD be interesting, John. :)

unclewalt

Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:45 am

Following up on the earlier discussion of "Take On Me" (attn: Suziko):

As I was dropping off to sleep, it occurred to me that this song could be played in G (starting on Am rather than Bm) much more easily. Almost no bar chords, and the very difficult Bm7 would become the much easier, open Am7. As I laid there, I transposed the whole thing in my head (I do that kind of thing to combat occasional insomnia), and when I tried it out, it worked very nicely.

I wonder if Neil considered teaching it this way, and if not, why not. I assume he's busy at the moment with the guitar camp, so I'll try to remember to ask later. (Or maybe he mentioned it as a possibility in the lesson.)

All this said, I'm kinda glad I learned it the way it was taught -- it was harder, and it enhanced my skills. Especially that bitch of a Bm7.

suziko

Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:50 pm

Interesting!! I gave it a try and I don't know if I'm just so used to the shapes in the Bm version but working in Am (capo'd at 2) seemed LESS easy to me. And if you're playing a C shape for the D, you can't easily do any staccato notes by just lifting the pressure off the strings.

unclewalt

Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:01 pm

suziko wrote:
Interesting!! I gave it a try and I don't know if I'm just so used to the shapes in the Bm version but working in Am (capo'd at 2) seemed LESS easy to me. And if you're playing a C shape for the D, you can't easily do any staccato notes by just lifting the pressure off the strings.

I haven't tried it enough yet to make a complete comparison, but it seems to me that if I were coming into it cold, G would be the much easier version for me to learn. Also, since I don't use a pick, I think stuff like lifting pressure isn't as much as an issue for me. I play it slightly slower than the recorded (and Neil's) version, too, with kind of a chord solo for the verses, so my emphasis there is more on the melody than on rhythm. I'm going to keep at it til I have it down, and will report back if that yields anything interesting.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic