WHAT'S THE ONE IMPROBABLE TUNE THAT IF NEIL EVER DID A LESSON ON YOU WOULD BE SO EXCITED ABOUT Y

lueders

Mon May 20, 2013 4:17 pm

WHAT'S THE ONE IMPROBABLE TUNE THAT IF NEIL EVER DID A LESSON ON YOU WOULD BE SO HAPPY AND EXCITED ABOUT YOU WOULD PEE YOUR PANTS?

*I have experienced that once already with AHA's Take On Me..man I was over the moon when that puppy came out!! Still love it! A genius composite arrangement that I
know I would never get anywhere else!! And who would have ever thought that would happen?

I am not trying to stir up anything with this thread. SO lets not even go there this time...Let's keep it light and respectful for all concerned. I just thought it might be interesting to hear folks long shot hopes for lessons. I know some of your picks but thought it might be cool to hear some more. ( I'm talking the improbable pipe dream tune here.) Maybe it is a song you have wrestled with trying to sound out for yourself a long time or whatever and had limited success. Or, maybe it is the song you would die happy if you ever saw it here?

Presently,I dig that Neil digs and is presently digging up more and more of this kind of rootsy stuff. Some of these songs make great ear training lessons and others
provide accurate, authentic access to arrangements you simply CANNOT get
anywhere else. And I really, really dig this genre!! I'm sure a lot of others dig 'em too.

So, yeah I simply love this (Avett Bros.) rootsy genre. From here, in my mind at least... it is just a hop, skip and a jump over to the Wilco's, and Son Volt's and even the great GREG BROWN.

As Fogelberg is to Kev and Hayward is to Chris, and Jackson Browne is to Jason...Greg Brown is to me. I have to admit my long-shot hope that such a lesson could surface someday. For Neil to do a lesson on ANY of his "hard to unravel tunes" would be sort of the ultimate in my opinion. That would be a dream come true, for sure. I know we've all got our long shot hopes for lessons and that is definitely mine. Heck, it would be a dream come true to have the community pool their collective talents together and try to decipher one of his tunes akin to the "DRIVING TOWARDS THE DAYLIGHT THREAD"
I've been watching that thread and you guys are really kickin some can over there. It is very cool to see...

Also, I don't wanna sound greedy I still sincerely cherish my Aha arrangement and QUITE a few others!! As for Mr. Brown...if it never happens, it never happens NO big whoop I'll be content with my limited ear and hope it keeps getting better...

SO WHAT ARE YOUR ONE IN A MILLION PICKS EVERYBODY?

Music Junkie

Mon May 20, 2013 4:51 pm

Cori:

I like the premise...

I have struggled mightily over the last couple of years and have put together quite a list of Jackson Browne songs that I can play (well, kinda sorta.... :P ).....

I feel pretty cool on the Jackson Browne front, so if I had a song that would excite me, I would have to say that it would be an old Jimmy Webb song from his album "Words and Music" called "P.F. Sloan".... It is a piano song, and for some reason, piano songs give me massive fits when it comes to transcriptions.... :( :(

And just to throw in Jackson Browne AGAIN, JB did a duet with Jimmy Webb on this song a long time ago... :P It was on Jimmy's album titled "Just Across the River"

Here is the original studio version. Not a particularly special song in any way, I just really like it for some reason. It has been covered by a few people/bands, but I prefer this original over all of them.....

Jason

suziko

Mon May 20, 2013 4:59 pm

I'd probably go with Ani Difranco. A lot of her stuff I just have a hard time figuring out. Her playing style is so unique- percussive and frenetic- that it's hard (for me) to imitate her. That said, I don't even know if her stuff would make a "good" lesson! But if it happened, that'd be super cool.

Of course, like I mentioned in the Avett Bros thread, I'd also love to see a lesson on pretty much any Decemberists song. But with their stuff, some of it I can figure out or can put something together from the available tab on line. All the same, I just love them so much that I'd love seeing them represented here.

Edit:

Here's another guy I'd LOVE to see a lesson on, not that I could play his songs!!

Suzi

sbutler

Mon May 20, 2013 5:57 pm

suziko wrote:
I'd probably go with Ani Difranco. A lot of her stuff I just have a hard time figuring out. Her playing style is so unique- percussive and frenetic- that it's hard (for me) to imitate her. That said, I don't even know if her stuff would make a "good" lesson! But if it happened, that'd be super cool.

Of course, like I mentioned in the Avett Bros thread, I'd also love to see a lesson on pretty much any Decemberists song. But with their stuff, some of it I can figure out or can put something together from the available tab on line. All the same, I just love them so much that I'd love seeing them represented here.

Edit:

Here's another guy I'd LOVE to see a lesson on, not that I could play his songs!!

Suzi
that's some really cool playin Suzi. I'd like to play like that too :)

suziko

Mon May 20, 2013 7:19 pm

Yeah, Darrell Scott is AWESOME!! A good friend introduced me to him recently and I was just blown away. I especially love these clips of him just solo with his guitar (as opposed to the studio arrangements). I love his voice, too, and his songwriting. Some other great songs of his (for those who are interested) are "You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive," "Hopkinsville," and "River Take Me." Check them out on YT!

Sorry to derail your thread, Cori! :) Good to see you back, by the way! :)

Suzi

jayswett

Mon May 20, 2013 7:40 pm

Cat Stevens - How Can I Tell You?

lueders

Mon May 20, 2013 8:23 pm

You didn't derail anything Suzi that's the kind of thing I hoped to hear from folks actually.
Besides, I see threads as community property/public domain or whatever. Lol B)

EDIT: Geez, this D. Scott is Great!! I did not expect that voice or even that style of playing to come from that fellow. It is almost as like a blend of James McMurtry and Dave Mathews...really, really good stuff...Thanx! :)

willem

Tue May 21, 2013 12:03 pm

Well I just started to take the lesson ''before you acuse me''' by Clapton,,,I guess the song below is the same style but I would be very exited for getting a inside look/breakdown from the master...

OH I was very exited by all the 500+ uploaded lessons ..

Cheers

Willem

unclewalt

Tue May 21, 2013 6:36 pm

The way I understand the question (which, I don't get why it would be contentious, but ok), it's not just songs you want to see lessons for, but songs that you would never think of being lessons, but then turn out to be, surprisingly, great ones. There have been a few of those for me, but "Take On Me" would probably top my list, too. I still work on that one, and have been doing so off and on since it was posted. I STILL don't have it down perfectly, but it's a lot of fun work with. I do it as a chord solo, too. It was the first one of those I ever worked out on my own - picking out the vocal melody over the chords.

This notion actually occurs to me all the time - even with lessons that are here, but aren't in chord-solo form. But I can't think of any others just now. If I do, I'll report back.

sbutler

Tue May 21, 2013 10:57 pm

I still think my pick would have to be Rubys Eyes by Tommy E. I'd be pretty jacked up if Neil did that one as a lesson.

Scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic