WHAT'S THE ONE IMPROBABLE TUNE THAT IF NEIL EVER DID A LESSON ON YOU WOULD BE SO EXCITED ABOUT Y

lueders

Tue May 21, 2013 11:23 pm

Jay- I was not familiar with that C. Stevens tune. Thank You! I see why you dig it. Great tune! I find it to be kind of tear jerker.

Willem-that's a nice choice. With your love for the blues I'm not too surprised.

Dan(Uncle Walt)-Yeah, I'm like you in that I keep going back to the AHa lesson as well...got it down decent but not where I would like with the Chord solo. It is definitely a special lesson in my book! As I was reading your interpretation of my rather rambling, overly wordy question it occurred to me that this really could/should be two questions:
1. What Song Has Neil Already Done A Lesson On That You Were Super, Super Psyched About...Or Is Particularly Special To You?
2. What Song (not currently a lesson) would cause you to be utterly elated if you were to see it here?

lueders

Tue May 21, 2013 11:24 pm

Jay- I was not familiar with that C. Stevens tune. Thank You! I see why you dig it. Great tune! I find it to be kind of tear jerker.

Willem-that's a nice choice. With your love for the blues I'm not too surprised.

Dan(Uncle Walt)-Yeah, I'm like you in that I keep going back to the AHa lesson as well...got it down decent but not where I would like with the Chord solo. It is definitely a special lesson in my book! As I was reading your interpretation of my rather rambling, overly wordy question it occurred to me that this really could/should be two questions:
1. What Song Has Neil Already Done A Lesson On That You Were Super, Super Psyched About...Or Is Particularly Special To You?
2. What Song (not currently a lesson) would cause you to be utterly elated if you were to see it here?

lueders

Tue May 21, 2013 11:52 pm

Ur...

I hit the SUBMIT prematurely. I hate when I do that,

SUZI: Again, thinks for the heads up on D. Scott. I listened to it again and I still think he's like a cross between Dave Mathews and James McMurtry.
Also, boy are you right about recreating Di Franco's percussive grooves. Greg has fair dose of that in his playing as well.
JASON: At first I was surprised to see u mention a Non-JB tune. But then I remembered you have some pretty eclectic tastes aside from your J. Browne devotion.
Looks like your hard work at dissecting these tunes is really paying off for you. You did a whale of a job on that Joey B tune!!! Very impressive!

Max

Wed May 22, 2013 3:56 pm

WOW...Darrell Scott what a great pick, never heard of him but what a nice voice and good guitar accompaniment.

My pick would be any Keb' Mo' song. He's also got a great voice, and a very unique blues guitar picking style.

And one day when I've got grandchildren I'd love to play this lullaby, keeping my fingers crossed.

Nice thread, Max

dtaylor

Wed May 22, 2013 5:19 pm

Max, if you're interested and haven't seen yet:

http://www.blues-tabs.net/index.php?opt ... catid=14:k

Dean

Max

Wed May 22, 2013 6:16 pm

dtaylor wrote:
Max, if you're interested and haven't seen yet:

http://www.blues-tabs.net/index.php?opt ... catid=14:k

Dean
Dean, Thanks, SOOOO Much, what a great site.

unclewalt

Wed May 22, 2013 6:20 pm

After seeing this topic yesterday, I worked with "Take On Me" a bit for the first time in a few weeks. It seems to be coming much easier to me now, and I think it's because I've been working on some really tough tunes lately

suziko

Wed May 22, 2013 7:11 pm

unclewalt wrote:
After seeing this topic yesterday, I worked with "Take On Me" a bit for the first time in a few weeks. It seems to be coming much easier to me now, and I think it's because I've been working on some really tough tunes lately

I've been working on and off on Take on Me for maybe 2 years (or since whenever Neil posted it)! It's gotten better and better, but I still have SUCH a hard time landing that end Bm7!! Any advice, guys??

unclewalt

Wed May 22, 2013 8:27 pm

suziko wrote:
unclewalt wrote:

I've been working on and off on Take on Me for maybe 2 years (or since whenever Neil posted it)! It's gotten better and better, but I still have SUCH a hard time landing that end Bm7!! Any advice, guys??
Yep, that's probably the toughest part. Besides simply advising that you do it a billion more times, I might suggest that you aim your focus, during the change from E, at getting your index finger on the fifth string, and letting the other fingers fall into place behind it. Do you play it with a pick? This might be a bit easier for me since I fingerpick and do a roll on that chord, but I think the advice should still apply.

Also, as you finish the riff on the E chord, pick up all your fingers other than your pinky on the high B note and start moving them toward the Bm7 as you play that last note - don't leave your hand in the E chord position until the moment you need it for the Bm7.

Oh, one other thing I've always done with new chords: just practice the chord change over and over, without regard to the actual rhythm or melody of the song. Four beats on the E, then four on the Bm7. Do that a billion times. Then choose some other chord -- say, D - and change between it and this Bm7 a billion times. Then G-Bm7. Then A-Bm7. That way, it becomes simply another chord in your toolbox rather than just that one, bitchin'-hard chord from "Take on Me."

cosmicmechanic

Wed May 22, 2013 8:27 pm

lueders wrote:
WHAT'S THE ONE IMPROBABLE TUNE THAT IF NEIL EVER DID A LESSON ON YOU WOULD BE SO HAPPY AND EXCITED ABOUT YOU WOULD PEE YOUR PANTS?
I haven't wanted to wear diapers this much since many years ago, when I used to dream of becoming an astronaut ...

Of the tunes that I've requested a lesson for, this is the one which would cause me to pollute the swimming pool :unsure:

But first, I'll just repeat my pitch for it here:
This song consists of just a few open chords ... but go try strum it !
Fast changes, syncopation, if this isn't worth a lesson to acquire general skills in the art of playing the guitar, then what is ?
And imagine it with some added melody lines ...
Singing it is a hoot !

PS: Dean and Daryl, thanks for the Keb Mo exposure.
These days I'm looking at Neil's "Country Blues" lessons in the "Acoustic Genius" Series ... just the thing for playing Keb Mo !

Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic