WHAT'S THE ONE IMPROBABLE TUNE THAT IF NEIL EVER DID A LESSON ON YOU WOULD BE SO EXCITED ABOUT Y

lueders

Thu May 23, 2013 12:35 am

That is pretty cool tune, Pierre! :) I suppose it's as good a tune as any to lose control of your bladder for. lol! :) :) :) :)

michelew

Thu May 23, 2013 5:54 am

suziko wrote:

Here's another guy I'd LOVE to see a lesson on, not that I could play his songs!!

Suzi
OMG! How cool is that?!

I never would have expected that voice to come from that beard. :)

M

suziko

Thu May 23, 2013 11:13 am

michelew wrote:
suziko wrote:

Here's another guy I'd LOVE to see a lesson on, not that I could play his songs!!

Suzi
OMG! How cool is that?!

I never would have expected that voice to come from that beard. :)

M

I had the same thought the first time I heard him!!! You expect him to have this super gruff voice, and then he ends up with this smooth-as-honey, expressive voice. I love it- and I love his playing!

suziko

Thu May 23, 2013 11:24 am

unclewalt wrote:
suziko wrote:
unclewalt wrote:
After seeing this topic yesterday, I worked with "Take On Me" a bit for the first time in a few weeks. It seems to be coming much easier to me now, and I think it's because I've been working on some really tough tunes lately

I've been working on and off on Take on Me for maybe 2 years (or since whenever Neil posted it)! It's gotten better and better, but I still have SUCH a hard time landing that end Bm7!! Any advice, guys??
Yep, that's probably the toughest part. Besides simply advising that you do it a billion more times, I might suggest that you aim your focus, during the change from E, at getting your index finger on the fifth string, and letting the other fingers fall into place behind it. Do you play it with a pick? This might be a bit easier for me since I fingerpick and do a roll on that chord, but I think the advice should still apply.

Also, as you finish the riff on the E chord, pick up all your fingers other than your pinky on the high B note and start moving them toward the Bm7 as you play that last note - don't leave your hand in the E chord position until the moment you need it for the Bm7.

Oh, one other thing I've always done with new chords: just practice the chord change over and over, without regard to the actual rhythm or melody of the song. Four beats on the E, then four on the Bm7. Do that a billion times. Then choose some other chord -- say, D - and change between it and this Bm7 a billion times. Then G-Bm7. Then A-Bm7. That way, it becomes simply another chord in your toolbox rather than just that one, bitchin'-hard chord from "Take on Me."

Thanks, Walt (I know that's not your name but I've forgotten what it is- sorry!!). That's all good advice. I know that I really just need to work on the change more. Not to say I haven't already done that quite a bit, but clearly I haven't done it enough. I do play it with a pick, which isn't my forte (I do more fingerpicking) but I like how it sounds that way and I always need more pick-practice. I do try to keep my pinky on that B at the end of the measure of E, and to slide it down to the A that begins the measure of Bm7. But I'm not sure I'm lifting the rest of my fingers early enough. That would help gain me a split second, which might be enough to then more smoothly get my fingers into the Bm7 shape.

Thanks again!

Suzi

jfreshwa

Thu May 23, 2013 3:05 pm

I've been pondering about your questions Cori......but I honestly don't know, Neil has already done everything that I could wish for (lots of CSN&Y stuff for example, but also Vincent).......so...yeah, I'm a happy person here at the site! ;)

dtaylor

Thu May 23, 2013 5:25 pm

I've thought about this a while...
Words fail me but here goes, staggering, transcendent, magnificent... No, I can't do it justice...

Now I know Neil wouldn't do a lesson on such a thing, but one can dream...

lueders

Thu May 23, 2013 5:35 pm

dtaylor wrote:
I've thought about this a while...
Words fail me but here goes, staggering, transcendent, magnificent... No, I can't do it justice...

Now I know Neil wouldn't do a lesson on such a thing, but one can dream...
Holy Moley!!! Wow, if that isn't a genius guitarist arrangement of a genius guitarist's original...well I dunno what?
Smokin ' Wow, Dean where did u dig that up? That's the kind of thing that makes want forget I've ever held guitar and go herd goats somewhere or something...Geeez!

dtaylor

Thu May 23, 2013 5:53 pm

[/quote]
Holy Moley!!! Wow, if that isn't a genius guitarist arrangement of a genius guitarist's original...well I dunno what?
Smokin ' Wow, Dean where did u dig that up? That's the kind of thing that makes want forget I've ever held guitar and go herd goats somewhere or something...Geeez![/quote]

I know, right!!? I get the same feeling watching that as I did before I could play guitar and saw, I don't know, Lyndsey Buckingham play Big Love on acoustic. That's just how far ahead this guy is and I've been playing 4 years!

It is amazing what you can stumble on on YouTube...

sbutler

Thu May 23, 2013 7:15 pm

dtaylor wrote:
Smokin ' Wow, Dean where did u dig that up? That's the kind of thing that makes want forget I've ever held guitar and go herd goats somewhere or something...Geeez![/quote]

I know, right!!? I get the same feeling watching that as I did before I could play guitar and saw, I don't know, Lyndsey Buckingham play Big Love on acoustic. That's just how far ahead this guy is and I've been playing 4 years!

It is amazing what you can stumble on on YouTube...[/quote]that dude has got to be a long Los son of Tommy Emmanuel. Matron guitar. Oh yeah! At least he gives us a target to aim for.
Scott

thereshopeyet

Mon May 27, 2013 8:57 am

Neil

Here's a suggestion......

:)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic