Progression / Mode Question

Music Junkie

Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:42 pm

Hey All:

I am working on an old REO Speedwagon tune (no laughing... :silly: ). It is called "Roll With the Changes"

I think I am hearing C as the I chord, or at least what the song is resolving to. However, the chords seem to be C - F - Bb - F - C, which would seem to be V - F - IV - I - V... Not positive about that... :unsure: If that is correct, would this be considered to be in the Key of F, but revolving around the 5th (mixolydian???)

If this does not make sense, I am blaming it on a long week combined with a wonderful bourbon and coke... :P

Jason

TGNesh

Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:41 am

Absolutely the key of C! :)

unclewalt

Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:03 pm

Seems that way to me, too, but I'm far from an expert on this stuff. I think the Bb is just a chord from outside the key. These rules aren't hard and fast. Excellent question, though -- there's a Dm and a G5 in the chorus, so all the chords also fit into F major. For all I know, you could technically describe it the way you have.

Music Junkie

Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:53 pm

Ness and Walt:

Thanks for the input...

I knew C was "home", but the Bb threw me off... :) I have seen many songs that seem to have the 7th, which would normally be a diminished chord, as a major chord. I have always wondered about that. In this case, the Bb would be a borrowed chord, if we are in the key of C. If it was F but revolving around the C, that would explain it. If it is C , then Bb would be the 4th of IV, which is another thing I have seen used in a lot of songs, along with the 5th of V. I really wish I understood all of that more... :huh:

Thanks again!

Jason

unclewalt

Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:36 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
Ness and Walt:

Thanks for the input...

I knew C was "home", but the Bb threw me off... :) I have seen many songs that seem to have the 7th, which would normally be a diminished chord, as a major chord. I have always wondered about that. In this case, the Bb would be a borrowed chord, if we are in the key of C. If it was F but revolving around the C, that would explain it. If it is C , then Bb would be the 4th of IV, which is another thing I have seen used in a lot of songs, along with the 5th of V. I really wish I understood all of that more... :huh:

Thanks again!

Jason
It seems to me that you do understand it, you were just thrown by the borrowed chord. (Except, In C, the 7th would be B (or Bdim), not Bb.) Maybe somebody smarter than me can weigh in and answer whether the way you interpreted it -- in F, but resolving to the V -- could be considered technically correct. And if not, why not.

Music Junkie

Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:03 pm

unclewalt wrote:
Music Junkie wrote:
Ness and Walt:

Thanks for the input...

Thanks again!

Jason
It seems to me that you do understand it, you were just thrown by the borrowed chord. (Except, In C, the 7th would be B (or Bdim), not Bb.) Maybe somebody smarter than me can weigh in and answer whether the way you interpreted it -- in F, but resolving to the V -- could be considered technically correct. And if not, why not.
Yep, another brain fart on my part. The Bdim would be in C.....sorry bout that...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic