Beatles "Sitting in"

cosmicmechanic

Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:38 am

Have you found links to (maybe) obscure videos of a member of the Beatles playing hookie from the band ?

I think I've seen lots, but keep being surprised at what pops up. Want to share some ?

For example, seems that Ringo and Marc Bolan (T-Rex) were very tight ... (extra guest !)

and then there's quiet George ... hope there are more of him out there ...

MarkM

Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:21 am

Here is another one for you Pierre.

daryl

Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:24 pm

Is this what you had in mind?

MarkM

Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:06 am

These three are great. SNL 1976

cosmicmechanic

Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:57 pm

Thanks for the input, guys ... rockin' stuff.

Daryl, I sure appreciate seeing John looking lively and jiggling around, especially without Yoko wailing over it all.
Liked this a lot ...

Mark, that Starkey-Bolan debate never did get to the point did it ? And the issue is still unresolved: Rock versus Roll. ... Hmmm ...
And the Harrison-Simon collaboration just makes me smile so wide. These are recordings of SNL (Saturday Night Live),
and reminded me of the Saturday "Midnight Special" TV show in the early 1970s.
It was the kind of thing I (teenager) used to tune into after coming home on a Saturday night, trying not to wake anybody up.
Don't know why, but I was so happy when there were chocolate-chip cookies around ... ahh!

===============
I wonder if you've heard that John Lennon attempted some acting on the side ?
Below is a text response from an interview, and video excerpts of his (minor-role) scenes in the movie "How I Won the War".

These videos are not as moving as his music, for sure, but at least a fix for Beatles junkies ... drop by any time John ! Would love to see you !!

If you are interested, I only had patience for mucking about in the first two videos to get a feel for the characters, then jumped to the third.
The third video is where I saw more "real" acting (oxymoron?). Your mileage may vary !

===============
6.00am, Monday 19 September 1966 (47 years ago)
Location shooting began in Spain on this day for How I Won The War, the Richard Lester film which featured John Lennon in the minor role of Private Gripweed.

It was while in Spain that Lennon wrote Strawberry Fields Forever, which initially had the title "It's Not too Bad".

"Dick Lester offered me the part in this movie, which gave me time to think without going home.
We were in Almería, and it took me six weeks to write the song. I was writing it all the time I was making the film.
And as anybody knows about film work, there's a lot of hanging around.
I have an original tape of it somewhere.
Of how it sounded before it became the sort of psychedelic-sounding song it became on record."

John Lennon, 1980
(From "All We Are Saying", David Sheff)
===============
Lennon had to get up at 6am each morning and was taken to the film set in his black Rolls-Royce.
Filming for How I Won The War continued until Sunday 6 November 1966.
The following day Lennon flew back to London from Madrid.
(From "beatlesbible.com")
===============

cosmicmechanic

Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:51 pm

Breaking news ...

Ringo was "Larry the dwarf" in Frank Zappa's 1971 musical surrealist film "200 Motels" !

Our veteran news team is on site ... we will keep you informed of further developments ...

Here is a trailer ...

[Edit] ... this is a bit inconsistent, since the Beatles officially broke up in 1970,
... but I suppose the filming was done before that :huh:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic