FANTASY FAB FOUR TO RIVAL THE BEATLES

lueders

Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:33 pm

I've always liked coming up with "what if?" scenarios... ex.What if Lincoln had lived for reconstruction? What if Lincoln had been killed before he first took office (i.e. the Baltimore Plot).......not interested in anything quite THAT heavy here I don't think :)

Anyways,I digress...

I just watched IT MIGHT GET LOUD again and the part where the Edge is standing in front of the school bulletin board (where Larry first posted the flyer to join the band) and he talks about how he might be working in a bank if he hadn't answered the ad.

He goes on to say he "probably would have joined a band but it wouldn't have been THIS band."

Makes you wonder what chance cosmic happenings had to conspire for the pinnacle group-the BEATLES to form in Liverpool way back in the day.

Begrudgingly, I have to admit the Beatles have no equals...particularly in star power and
songwriting abilities.You almost have to go to the revisionist realm of fantasy to even get close to their song writing prowess. So with an international (fantasy) fab four concept in mind I came up with these dream line-ups for the U.S.A. and Canada. Here's a line-up I like for the American Beatles. Any band that has Brian Wilson on bass. Roger McGuinn on lead. Paul Simon on rhythm and Levon Helm on drums is a band I wanna hear.

SO WHAT OTHER LINE UPS COULD WE COME UP WITH? ANY BETTER IDEAS? HOW BOUT: NETHERLANDS, GERMANY, AUSTRALIA, JAPAN, MEXICO, NEW ZEALAND, etc. etc.

lueders

Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:35 pm

Here's the line-up I like for Canada...Wanna weigh in on this one Marc, Pierre, Al, Bob? Any other northern neighbors I'm forgetting? Image

As legend has it...it was comin' on Christmas. People we're cuttin down trees...it was back in Blind river in 1962 ...or was it a town in North Ontario; at any rate, in this town was a coffee shop with live acoustic sets where Joni (b.1943) and Neil (b.1945) used to play. But it was not until the insistence of fellow acoustic guitarist and bass player Rick Danko (b.1945) that the trio talked of forming a band. One night, on the way to said coffee shop, Neil filled up in Hagersville, Ontario...where he talked to some guy, who knew a guy, who had a kid brother who had just moved to St. Catharines in Southern Ontario but could really rattle the skins. The kid's name was Neal Pert. (b.1952) Neil thought to himself: "that's good we finally found a drummer but he's gonna have to change his name. There's only gonna be one Neil in this outfit." :silly:

daryl

Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:21 pm

For starters the bass player of my fantasy fab four would be James Jamerson:

I'll get back to you on the other three......

lueders

Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:29 pm

That's some tasty bass playing for sure, Daryl! :) :)

daryl

Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:48 pm

daryl wrote:
For starters the bass player of my fantasy fab four would be James Jamerson:

I'll get back to you on the other three......
For the drummer I have to go with Abe Laboriel. I think he's great and can sing too:

cosmicmechanic

Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:29 pm

Cori, Michel Pagliaro was writing tunes with great hooks in the Beatles days.

He might fit the "Paul" slot in the Canadian version of that ideal band, only much scruffier B)

lueders

Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:18 pm

I like his sound...definitely his own thing but maybe a little beatlejuice in his musical stew as well.

lanasmil

Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:31 pm

Is there any fan of Traveling Wilburys? I adore Bob Dylan.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic