Unhappy anniversary ... Lennon was damn awesome

cosmicmechanic

Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:12 am

John was killed on December 8th 1980.

I found this James Taylor interview ... a good, long (30min), realistic tribute to John Lennon.

around the 18min mark ... something spooky, but I suggest you listen patiently 'till then ...

near the end, at about 25min, James Taylor prepares to play Lennon's "In My Life" ... (hang on to each word)... but actually plays at 28min past.

... and life goes on ...

Peace !

Pierre

sandysue

Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:58 am

james said that Johns death caused a kind of phantom pain like the loss of a limb. Your brain somehow thinks that he should still be here. .

cosmicmechanic

Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:41 am

sandysue wrote:
james said that Johns death caused a kind of phantom pain like the loss of a limb. Your brain somehow thinks that he should still be here. .
Sandy, you are right about how my brain works. Phantom pain, for sure !

I sure wish that John Lennon could should be here among us.

But how can we get anything positive out of this ... hmmm ....

This is the best I can do for now !

neverfoundthetime

Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:32 am

sandysue wrote:
That pretty much sums up the past 33 years!

JT is hard to listen to for me, hard to stay awake as he searches for his words. Thanks for the time references Pierre, around 18 mins it gets very interesting. Imagine that, JT heard John Lennon being shot! An awful day in history.

cosmicmechanic

Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:04 am

sandysue

Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:27 pm

JL was smart, and ultra talented, and also a little on the mysterious yet playful side. sooo charismatic

JT on the other hand appears to be a little more introverted. He seems to struggle more with his own thoughts. I really love his music.

cosmicmechanic

Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:06 pm

Hmmm ... Julian Lennon has a word to say ... especially at about the 5min50 mark

cosmicmechanic

Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:35 pm

Let's maybe give John the last word ? Otherwise, go right ahead !

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.
When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I wrote down ‘happy’.
They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”

MarkM

Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:21 am

Great video Pierre. I remember on a Monday night when I was up too late watching Monday Night Football (Patriots vs. Dolphins I believe) when Howard Cosell made the announcement. I was 11 years old at the time. There was such a dramatic mood change in my house that night. The next day at school was very different indeed. I don't think much got done as I recall many teachers just sitting at their desks discussing The Beatles and John to us little 4th graders. Its odd but has I got older, through high school, college, and up to today I become more angry a the what happened. Just such a waste. To imagine what the world would have been like these past 30 years with him still around opens they eyes up to so many possibilities.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:27 pm

sandysue wrote:
JL was smart, and ultra talented, and also a little on the mysterious yet playful side. sooo charismatic

JT on the other hand appears to be a little more introverted. He seems to struggle more with his own thoughts. I really love his music.
Yeah. I have no illusions about JL, he was all of those things and also a nasty piece of work at times, rough edges. A product of working class Liverpool at the time (as my mum came from Liverpool, I had a window on all that). But its the music which remains and he was nothing if not authentic. I often found Paul glib and a bit plastic, a bit wanna be when he didn't really need to be. I prefer authentic soul-searching to Obladi Oblada nonsense.

As for JT, yeah he's introverted and in personality more like a shy woodwork teacher than a famous writer of wonderful melancholic songs!

AS for Yoko Ono, poor Jules having to deal with that blankety blank and having to buy his birth-right back from the auctions she placed his dad's stuff in! What a cow! Can't remember where I saw it, but there was a cartoon or film of her dressed as a Nazi SS Sturmbannführer ... and it just seemed to clic!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic