History of the Stones "Street Fighting Man"

MarkM

Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:12 pm

Came across this today. Very cool interview with Keith on the history of making Street Fighting Man. Check out the Youtube videos at the bottom to hear the changes made.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1 ... h+richards

MarkM

neverfoundthetime

Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:03 pm

Thanks Mark, that was fun to follow. Love the drumming on the original release.

Hydroman52

Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:00 pm

Good find, Mark. I like these stories.

I've been "writing" songs since I can first remember messing around with music. Most of it has been all in my head and never written down. In my teens, when I began playing guitar, I started actually writing things down (lyrics, chord progressions, riffs, etc.). Much of that has been lost, but, occasionally, I open a box of stuff, and there are scraps of paper with stuff written on it that have been suspended in time. When I read stuff like Keith Richards' "Life", Bob Dylan's "Chronicles Vol. I", Neil Young's "Shakey", Carol King's "A Natural Woman" and others, I realize that the songwriting paths that I have traveled is similar to the ones that they have taken. It's quite satisfying. Although I read most of these things to expand my knowledge, it's also an exercise in validation and making sure I'm still generally on the right path........kind of, sort of, just about.........

I'm okay with "write a hundred and get one that sticks.......maybe". Guess that would mean I'm about a quarter to half way there.

Hydroman52

cosmicmechanic

Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:02 am

Mark ...

Interesting tangent, this "Pay your dues" example really highlights how a great song may have been utterly forgettable if left as it was before maturity.

It seems so lightweight compared to the song we came to know, kind of like if Lennon had sung: "Imagine all the people ... living with no shoes ... ahh ... ahh ... ahh" (ouch !)

Pierre

neverfoundthetime

Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:32 pm

Great to read that Mike! Anything you'd like to share? Recoded anything?
I am probably at about a dozen. One I have shared. ANother, I've been thinking about doing as a task for the Tascam.

Pierre, you mean like some of Paul's: Obladi Oblada, Maxwell's silver Hammer and Mull of Kintyre or Freedom?

Mark ...

Interesting tangent, this "Pay your dues" example really highlights how a great song may have been utterly forgettable if left as it was before maturity.

It seems so lightweight compared to the song we came to know, kind of like if Lennon had sung: "Imagine all the people ... living with no shoes ... ahh ... ahh ... ahh" (ouch !)

Pierre

Hydroman52 wrote:
Good find, Mark. I like these stories.

I've been "writing" songs since I can first remember messing around with music. Most of it has been all in my head and never written down. In my teens, when I began playing guitar, I started actually writing things down (lyrics, chord progressions, riffs, etc.). Much of that has been lost, but, occasionally, I open a box of stuff, and there are scraps of paper with stuff written on it that have been suspended in time. When I read stuff like Keith Richards' "Life", Bob Dylan's "Chronicles Vol. I", Neil Young's "Shakey", Carol King's "A Natural Woman" and others, I realize that the songwriting paths that I have traveled is similar to the ones that they have taken. It's quite satisfying. Although I read most of these things to expand my knowledge, it's also an exercise in validation and making sure I'm still generally on the right path........kind of, sort of, just about.........

I'm okay with "write a hundred and get one that sticks.......maybe". Guess that would mean I'm about a quarter to half way there.

Hydroman52

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic