Movie recommendation: Muscle Shoals

michelew

Sat May 10, 2014 7:09 am

I just watched a great music movie - Muscle Shoals. See it if you get a chance. It's about Fame Studios, Rick Hall it's founder, a group of special backing musicians and a stack of artists who they created magic with. It's got a great sound track too. Read the blurb below for more.

Located alongside the Tennessee River, Muscle Shoals, Alabama is the unlikely breeding ground for some of America's most creative and defiant music. Under the spiritual influence of the "Singing River," as Native Americans called it, the music of Muscle Shoals has helped create some of the most important and resonant songs of all time. At its heart is Rick Hall who founded FAME Studios. Overcoming crushing poverty and staggering tragedies, Hall brought black and white together in Alabama's cauldron of racial hostility to create music for the generations. He is responsible for creating the "Muscle Shoals sound" and The Swampers, the house band at FAME that eventually left to start their own successful studio, known as Muscle Shoals Sound. Greg Allman, Bono, Clarence Carter, Mick Jagger, Etta James, Alicia Keys, Keith Richards, Percy Sledge and others bear witness to Muscle Shoals' magnetism, mystery and why it remains influential today.

You can see a trailer here:

http://www.magpictures.com/muscleshoals/

kelemenj

Sat May 10, 2014 10:45 am

I have seen this, and this is one awesome movie!
It definitely warrants multiple viewings.
Great recommendation!

John

jayswett

Sun May 11, 2014 6:13 am

This movie is available as a "streaming" movie through Netflxi, for those internested. Will have a look, hopefully later today.

michelew

Sun May 11, 2014 6:34 am

It's available on iTunes as a rental too.

Hydroman52

Sun May 11, 2014 4:34 pm

Muscle Shoals was very good. If you like that one, I would highly recommend watching Sound City, too.

Hydroman52

neverfoundthetime

Mon May 12, 2014 5:14 am

"Now Muscle Shoals has got the Swampers
And they've been known to pick a song or two
Lord they get me off so much
They pick me up when I'm feeling blue
Now how about you?

And finally I get that line in Sweet Home Alabama! My German music friend Ralf asked me 30 years ago what the meaning of that verse was and I was searching in the realms of mudflat fishermen and the like.... never occurred to me it was musicians! Duh!

You live and learn, eventually!

neverfoundthetime

Mon May 12, 2014 5:15 am

"Now Muscle Shoals has got the Swampers
And they've been known to pick a song or two
Lord they get me off so much
They pick me up when I'm feeling blue
Now how about you?

And finally I get that line in Sweet Home Alabama! My German music friend Ralf asked me 30 years ago what the meaning of that verse was and I was searching in the realms of mudflat fishermen and the like.... never occurred to me it was musicians! Duh!

You live and learn, eventually!

michelew

Tue May 13, 2014 6:34 am

Hydro - thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out.

Chris - glad to be of service. At the end of the movie they mention the lyrics to Sweet Home Alabama. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic