Webcast House Concert with Doug Young and Tim Farrell

dougyoung

Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:06 pm

Hi gang, I thought I'd mention for anyone interested, I'll be hosting Tim Farrell for a house concert this Friday night, Nov 7, at 8 PM Pacific time, and we'll be webcasting it as well via StageIt. Tim's a fantastic instrumental guitarist, probably best known for his arrangement of Little Martha that opens the Narada Fingerstyle CD. His newest CD has been nominated for a Grammy. We'll have an in-house audience (if anyone in the Bay Area wants to come, we might be able to cram a couple more people in, tho it's getting tight - email me...), but anyone can join us virtually from your web browser. I did a bunch of these a while back, and it was always fun. A bit interactive since the audience can join in via chat, and we typically have people from all over the world watching and chiming in. We have this set up as a "pay what you can" show, so you can buy a ticket for as little as 10 cents (1 "note" in stageit parlance - tho they make you buy $5 worth of notes).

You can go to the show at:

https://www.stageit.com/tim_farrell_and ... oung/41259

Doug

sandysue

Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:21 pm

Hi Doug

I signed up for stageit on line, to watch your show, but I'm not sure where to go on my laptop to actually watch the show. Where do i tune in?

thanks Sandy

dougyoung

Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:37 pm

Let's see, it's been a while since I've done this (I'm actually hoping to find a show to try tonight to verify that it works on a iPad. It's supposed to be a new feature). But I think you can simply go to that same link. If you sign in, there's also a menu item under "Your Account" that is "Shows You're Going To", that should also list this show if you've bought a ticket and a link to take you there. Right now, the page shows a blank screen with a countdown (2 Days). That keeps updating, until we get to show time. So you'll get a count down to the final seconds, and hopefully pretty close to when the clock hits zero, we'll go live, computers and internet willing! and you'll just suddenly see a live picture.

Sound and video quality vary depending on your internet connection, but in the past, both have been pretty decent. You can see a couple of samples, recorded right off the internet on my You Tube channel.

This might be from the last stageit show I did, a duet with Mark Hanson:

StageIt's fun, the quality is all over the map, but they've started having some pretty well known names at times, and some of the unknowns are good, so you might want to browse the existing shows and check out a few. Some shows charge more, but many are "pay what you can", so 10 cents makes it fairly risk-free to drop in on a show.

sandysue

Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:57 pm

thank you Doug

Wow, that was a really pretty duet. Thank you for the info on stageit. i have received a couple of emails from them today, since I joined and signed up for your concert, so they will probably help me figure it all out in the next few days. I'm really looking forward to watching your concert.

Sandy

dougyoung

Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:01 pm

I just signed up for a show, and got an email with a button in it "Enter Venue". And indeed it now works on my iPad. Cool. I think we'll have a couple of ipads to pass around to our in-person audience so they can see what they look like on the video, and also join in on the comments.

BobR

Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:36 pm

Hi Doug,

I just watched you and Tim do a great job. :) :) :woohoo: Unfortunately It is only 30 minutes. :(

Thanks for sharing

Bob

sandysue

Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:15 am

Hi Doug

I saw your concert tonight. It was great. After 30 minutes they put me on encore and I was able to finish watching until you guys finally said goodbye to those of us online. That was a really nice way to see your concert. Thank you.

Sandy

dougyoung

Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:59 pm

Thanks for tuning in! Bob, stageit limits shows to 30 minutes, but then automatically rolls to a 20 minute encore, so they really end up being 50 minutes. Did it cut you off, or did you just think it was over before it went into encore mode? It's somewhat hard to know on our end what the audience experience is like.

I've toyed with using some other services that don't have the length limitation and have less confusing ticket processes, but they all have downsides. StageIt is fairly easy to do on the performers side - any of you could sign up and create an scheduled or impromptu show for other TG'ers - all you need is a computer and a webcam.

BobR

Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:18 pm

Hi Doug,

Yeah, it just cut off the feed but the chat was still going. I knew it was going to be 30 minutes so it was fine. Of course I would have always wanted more :) It did say Encore, but I was not sure what to do since the Audio/Video was gone. Anyway, You guys did a super job. The sound was so good. Other than the time limitations I thought the process was fine.

Hope to see more.

Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic