Report Grammy Festival At Sea-Heart, Shawn Colvin, Indigo Girls & Emmylou Harris

TGNesh

Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:56 pm

Alright, a quick report, as Neil has pointed out in the news, I've attended the Grammy Festival At Sea/'Women Who Rock' a week ago, which was basically a 4-day music festival on board of a cruise from Miami to the Bahamas. My skype-student Jill, and most of all dear friend, from Ohio, invited me to join (as you can imagine, she's of course my most favorite student :P ) and what can I say, we just had the most AWESOME week full of music, sea, warm weather, sun, beach, good food and much more! :cheer: :cheer:

So at the moment I'm still processing all the fabulous concerts that I've seen, which must have been almost a dozen. It was 'Pure Musicianship' in every way, with every performance, they were all SO GOOD!!!! I left every concert with just WOW WOW WOW!! :ohmy: :ohmy: Especially Heart left me speechless......

My highlight was when three icons, of Rock, Country and Contemporary Folk joined forces and got on stage together. I couldn't believe that I was actually there to witness such an áwesome collaboration! It was such an unexpected performance, they even needed printed lyrics :laugh: . I had almost missed the concert. :ohmy: It was supposed to be Shawn's concert with a couple of guests, so it was a surprise. Since i had already seen 2 of her performances, I was tempted to stay outside and enjoy the sun (with all those concerts, we were barely outside), but I decided to go anyway. I just couldn't believe my eyes when I saw who her special guests were....Ann Wilson & Emmylou Harris!!! :woohoo: They performed each others songs, took turns with the guitar and did some covers too. It was just an amazing experience, so sharing 2 clips of that, absolutely worth to watch, I'd say! ;) (Would love to share pics, but uploading them to TG isn't working for quite a while now. :S ) Will likely add some other clips later.

And I'm just a sucker for harmonies....! :) :) :)

1 After The Gold Rush/Neil Young
2 Ring Them Bells/Bob Dylan

daryl

Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:48 pm

WOW! Thanks for the look. The entire time must have been absolutely amazing.

TGNesh

Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:18 pm

Oh it ABSOLUTELY was Daryl!!! I still haven't landed yet.... :blink:

daryl wrote:
WOW! Thanks for the look. The entire time must have been absolutely amazing.

BobR

Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:29 pm

Hi Ness,

As Daryl said WOW!! Sounds like you had a fantastic time :woohoo:

Bob

michelew

Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:16 pm

OMG Nessa! That was spine-tingling. I had goosebumps just watching the video. I can only imagine how incredible it must have been to see that in person and to feel the electrically changed atmosphere in the room. Beautiful!

I have a version of After the Gold Rush on an album called Trio II; the album is all Emmy Lou Harris, Linda Ronstadt and Polly Parton singing three part harmonies. I love the whole thing. One of my favourites that also gives me goose bumps is High Sierra. I think you'd enjoy the album. Here is a live version. - sorry you'd need to click on "watch on YouTube" to see it.

I hope this isn't too much of a diversion. I thought it fit the theme of three legends singing beautiful harmonies.

TGNesh

Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:18 am

Bob: Oh yes, I had an AMAZING time!!! :woohoo: I still can't get over it, still re-living the whole thing and still not really back into real life also.... :( ... the past couple of months have been beyond exciting for me, camp and cruise, music, good friends and warm weather all around, I could easily live forever like that! ;)

Michele: That was absolutely the case Shel, electrical, i just couldn't believe my eyes and was just overwhelmed by the fact that I was able to witness it all, gosh.... :ohmy: :blink: :woohoo: Everyone just went wild when they turned up on stage. I have to say, all those artists really do have die heart and a véry loyal fanbase, it's really cool to see and must be a lot of fun for the artists as well.
Anyway, oh yes, I've seen that collab of Linda, Emmylou and Dolly (very cool too!), I suppose it was Emmylou's idea in the first place to play and sing it on the cruise as well ;). I've actually fallen in love with the song. Can't believe that I didn't know it in the first place, good old Neil Young! :laugh: I'm not really a fan but i LOVE MANY of his songs, too funny! :P

Ness

auntlynnie

Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:10 am

Wow - so very cool!

I'm envious, and so grateful to hear your impressions.

Thanks!

Lynn

TGNesh

Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:37 pm

Oh yeah, it was indeed so very cool, you would have loved it!!

I'm still digesting it all.... :blink: :silly:

auntlynnie wrote:
Wow - so very cool!

I'm envious, and so grateful to hear your impressions.

Thanks!

Lynn

Lavallee

Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:27 pm

Hey Ness, that must have been a one of a kind vacation. Being on a ship, have you had a chance to bump in one of them and chat?

Marc

TGNesh

Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:05 pm

Oh gosh, it was!!!! :woohoo:

And yes, we did bump into some, for example Shawn Colvin was standing right beside me, while making a appointment for a massage (gotto do that too you know ;) ). But besides that we were told to kinda leave them alone, I'm really not the person who would approach them. I indeed just want to let them be and let them enjoy some time to themselves. Still chatting would have been nice! :)

Ness

Lavallee wrote:
Hey Ness, that must have been a one of a kind vacation. Being on a ship, have you had a chance to bump in one of them and chat?

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic