Seen any good music movies lately?

michelew

Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:28 am

I've just finished watching a very soppy, sweet, suspenseful and cool music movie; August Rush .

It's a whole lot of love stories and most of all it's about the wonder of music and the way it brings people together. It's set around a eleven year old boy; it's his quest to find his parents, his discovery of music and how he learns to express himself along the way.

It has some very cool playing in it, like this piece, which is his first encounter with a guitar. :)

If you're a true romantic you'll love it. Suspend disbelief and I think many of you who aren't true romantics will enjoy it too.

BTW - don't judge the movie by the trailer. It doesn't tell you much, except that there are some sad bits.

Seen any cool music movies lately?

tombo1230

Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:13 am

Can't be a bad movie. it has the late, great, Robin Williams in it.

Tom N.

sandysue

Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:36 am

hi Michele

I've never seen that movie but it looks like it would be good. Tom is right, it can't be bad because Robin Williams is there. Robin's death was a big loss for everyone because he was such a special guy.

Sandy

michelew

Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:42 pm

OOh and did I mention it has Robin Williams in it? :)

Yes while watching it I kept thinking how bizarre and sad it is that he's no longer around and that he seemed to be a sweet man.

He's not sweet in this movie. It was the first time I really remember seeing that too. He's not exactly evil.... Well... He's a pretty complex character in some respects.

Yep I really like Robin too. His death is a lost to be sure.

sandysue

Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:12 pm

Hi Michele

I went with friends to see the latest Night at the Museum movie today. It was much funnier than the critic's gave it credit for, but Robin Williams was a bit subdued in this film, and a little more philosophical at the end. It had a sad ending in retrospect.

Sandy

wiley

Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:00 pm

I kept thinking to myself when I watched this years ago......."Really.....I mean really...........What busker could possibly need (much less use) an SJ 200?? Need money?? No dough to eat?? SELL the damn 200 and eat - in fact, eat well...for a while........ and have enough left over for stupid stuff like.....shoes, clothes, a hot shower....jeeeeeez!"

Honestly, I'm not gonna review the movie, but I will say....look up "Kaki King" - most of the dub overs and a bunch of the main characters up close hand movements are hers. As is a bunch of the music.

Yep, miss 'ol Mork...

michelew

Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:26 pm

Oh Wiley so nice of you to drop by. Ahhhhh ... I did suggest suspending disbelief which you need to do for quite a few aspects of this movie. I don't know anything about Gibsons. I've only played Gibson mandolins, which were gorgeous in form and sound. All I know is that they look beautiful. So... That aspect of the movie didn't bother me so much, but I take your point. But, since Williams character was using the guitar to milk money out of people using the kids... Well perhaps it's not that inconsistent after all.

I didn't realise it was Kaki King doing the playing, she's DEFINITELY cool and amazing. I must get some of her stuff. I saw a great TED Talk/performance with her once. She's mesmerising.

No positive movie recommendations then?

michelew

Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:32 pm

sandysue wrote:
Hi Michele

I went with friends to see the latest Night at the Museum movie today. It was much funnier than the critic's gave it credit for, but Robin Williams was a bit subdued in this film, and a little more philosophical at the end. It had a sad ending in retrospect.

Sandy
I haven't seen it, but i can imagine just knowing it's his last movie (I assume) makes it sad all by itself. ...

jayswett

Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:25 pm

Here's a movie that I've recommended in the past, but doubt anyone acted on it. I'll try again. It's called Once.

michelew

Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:58 pm

Hey Jay,

Thanks for the recommendation. That looks like a pretty emotional journey. ... I'll check it out.

Thanks.

Shel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic