Seen any good music movies lately?

jayswett

Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:50 am

Here's another recommendation for a movie to watch over the holidays with the kids. Good message for the kids but enjoyable for adults as well. It's called The Way Way Back. Not specifically a movie about music, but the soundtrack is great with both older recognisable songs and newer artists as well. YouTube of course has a trailer that is easy to find. Again, a very good family movie, but also great for music lovers in general.

sandysue

Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:14 pm

I recently saw a movie called Jersey boys. It was a story about the life of the 60's musician Frankie Valli. He had so many great hits. Everyone in the theater was singing along with him while we watched the movie. It was really fun.

Sandy

neverfoundthetime

Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:42 pm

If you haven't seen it yet, Into The Wild, great movie and soundtrack, pretty sad.

michelew

Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:50 pm

Jay, Sandy and Chris,

Thanks for the recommendations. I haven't seen any of them. I see I'm not the only one recommending sad love stories. Chris I love the Eddie Vedder number, Guaranteed;so pretty.

So we have:

- August Rush - love story for true romantics, with cool songs from Kaki King, about lovesick musicians and a little boy who's a music genius, must be able to suspend disbelief (it's a movie)
- Ocean - love story, lovesick musician (watch the trailer)
- The Way Way Back - good for kids too, cool sound track
- Jersey Boys - life of Frankie Valli - prepare to sing.
- Into the Wild - cool music, sad

Well I'll be checking them out.

In the next few days I'll be hearing "I See Fire" (must finish learning that). Yep we're having a few people over for a Hobbit movie marathon, before we see the finale in the cinema on Boxing Day. I wonder if there will be a new cool song that Ness ends up teaching. :)

Thanks for the movie ideas. I hope you all have a fun holiday season.

Shel

wiley

Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:00 am

I saw "Jersey Boy's" in it's "Broadway" presentation, haven't seen the movie.

Try "Sound City" - Dave Grohl's documentary about the Van Nuys California (A suburb of LA) "Sound City Studio" which featured a "Neve" console. Nirvana (1991 - "Nevermind"), along with many others, recorded there. Supposedly the first place Stevie Nicks recorded and where "Fleetwood Mac" was formed. Neil Young did a body of work there and has his own "Neve" console, albeit a smaller version.

"Rudderless" is a indie song type of movie about a Father finding, then performing with others, his son's music after the son tragically passes away.

michelew

Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:03 am

Thanks Wiley.

I've seen Sound City and enjoyed it.

I haven't seen Rudderless. It seems to fit the sad, with good music theme. Thanks I'll give it a look.

While we're on the sad musos theme, Inside Llewelyn Davis is another that people might like. It's broody, sad and has great music. I LOVE Dink's Song. And it's based in a true story; Dave van Ronk.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/j ... e-van-ronk

tombo1230

Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:55 pm

Anybody can enjoy this movie: My wife and daughter said that everyone was up dancing when they went to see it at the movie theatre. I think this movie might appeal to women more though. ;) :)

Mama Mia with the music of Abba and a super cast:
Stellan Skarsgaard, Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan, Amanda Seyfried, Colin Firth

This is one of those movies that you just know everyone had a ball making. B) :)

I think you would enjoy this Michelle if you haven't already (you probably have) :)

It was on tv the other night. :) Here is a funny clip: The credits......

Tom N.

michelew

Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:18 pm

Hey Tom!

Great movie. I saw it a few times and really enjoyed it. Except...Pierce Brosnan... An on stage singer he is not. :)

It's lots of fun to be sure and I absolutely sung my heart out at the movies. :)

Good one!

M

cosmicmechanic

Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:15 pm

A classic about the history of Bluegrass music, in digestible form (!) : the 1994 documentary "High Lonesome"

tombo1230

Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:27 pm

michelew wrote:
Hey Tom!

Great movie. I saw it a few times and really enjoyed it. Except...Pierce Brosnan... An on stage singer he is not. :)

It's lots of fun to be sure and I absolutely sung my heart out at the movies. :)

Good one!

M
Yes Michele,
he accepted the part before realising that singing was part of the deal. He wasn't great when called upon to sing. :) :huh: (understatement of the year) :P

there were some very good singers in it though.

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic