Has anyone seen this movie?

wrench

Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:59 pm

Wrecking Crew

I just saw this film today. For those of us who have a serious connection to the music of the 50's, 60's, and 70's, this is some of the most fascinating music history I know of.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:47 pm

That looks cool Dan. I will look out for the film.

On the same subject and really fascinating, has anyone been following Dave McGowan on (Weird Scenes Inside) Laurel Canyon, where it was all happening?

BobR

Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:27 pm

Hi Dan,
Thanks for the trailer. I will definitely be checking it out.

Bob

plantman

Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:53 pm

Thanks Dan,
Looks like something I would enjoy. Did you ever see the documentary about Muscle Shoals?
You would probably like that one also.
Chan

thereshopeyet

Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:26 am

Chris Wrote:
On the same subject and really fascinating, has anyone been following Dave McGowan on (Weird Scenes Inside) Laurel Canyon, where it was all happening?
That looks spooky Chris !
An experimental Area 51 for musicians !!

Dermot

:ohmy:

wrench

Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:49 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:

Chris,
I listened to some of Dave McGowan talking about his ideas on the Laurel Canyon music phenomenon of the 60's. Ironically, it strikes me that some of the questions McGowan raises are explained in a non-government manner by the Wrecking Crew. McGowan makes connections between the military and many 60's artists, but it was hard not to have a military family connection in the wake of WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. In a manner of speaking, I have connections to German weapons engineers, the CIA, Che Guevara, military intelligence, and all sorts of things that sound a great deal more sinister and dramatic than they really are, just from family, acquaintances, and my military service. Even Jimi Hendrix was 101st Airborne, but I doubt there is a connection between his military service, his music career, and his death.

Dave McGowan has obviously put a lot of thought into his ideas, but I wonder if The Wrecking Crew would put a different slant on any of them.

Chan,
Thanks for the Muscle Shoals recommendation. I'm trying to get my hands on it this weekend.

Hydroman52

Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:26 am

plantman wrote:
Thanks Dan,
Looks like something I would enjoy. Did you ever see the documentary about Muscle Shoals?
Chan

Muscle Shoals was good. Another similar and interesting one is Sound City about the recording studio in Van Nuys, CA. I haven't seen The Wrecking Crew, yet. It's on my list.

Hydroman52

neverfoundthetime

Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:46 pm

Hi Dan. My thoughts exactly. at first. But Dave McGowan does point out a mass of very strange coincidences concerning Laurel Canyon and the music scene of the 60s, flower power, military intelligence, CIA, murders and high strangeness of all types which I had never heard of before concerning our favourite bands of the 60s. The flat facts are by themselves very interesting. Who'd have thought that Jim Morrison's dad was the admiral in charge of the ships at the Bay of Tonkin incident?! I've read a lot of Dave's stuff and he does have a very unique and well researched angle on some really strange goings on across recent history.

Chris

wrench wrote:
neverfoundthetime wrote:

Chris,
I listened to some of Dave McGowan talking about his ideas on the Laurel Canyon music phenomenon of the 60's. Ironically, it strikes me that some of the questions McGowan raises are explained in a non-government manner by the Wrecking Crew. McGowan makes connections between the military and many 60's artists, but it was hard not to have a military family connection in the wake of WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. In a manner of speaking, I have connections to German weapons engineers, the CIA, Che Guevara, military intelligence, and all sorts of things that sound a great deal more sinister and dramatic than they really are, just from family, acquaintances, and my military service. Even Jimi Hendrix was 101st Airborne, but I doubt there is a connection between his military service, his music career, and his death.

Dave McGowan has obviously put a lot of thought into his ideas, but I wonder if The Wrecking Crew would put a different slant on any of them.

Chan,
Thanks for the Muscle Shoals recommendation. I'm trying to get my hands on it this weekend.

Max

Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:24 pm

plantman wrote:
Thanks Dan,
Chan
I also saw "Muscle Shoals" and "Sound City" I thought both were good, and I'm quite interested in seeing "Wrecking Crew", Dan's suggestion.
The Wrecking Crew trailer reminded me of a music industry documentary called "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown".
"Standing In The Shadows Of Motown" is my all time favorite of this type of documentary music history movie.
Here's a link to the trailer:

Max

wrench

Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:07 pm

I just saw Muscle Shoals, and I see a pattern emerging here. Thanks for the lead, Chan. The Wrecking Crew and Muscle Shoals have me so intrigued I am going to try to find Sound City and Standing in the Shadows of Motown to see if the pattern continues. Thanks for those leads Hydro and Max. One can't help but notice the similarities in both the theme and the structure of these two documentaries, and that's really a lot of information coming from just two sources. I have to wonder how objective these stories really are.

If all of this is indeed true, the sheer volume of music our generation grew up on being generated by such a relatively small group of musicians, and alarmingly often with no music on paper, is nearly hard to believe. Maybe Chris is actually on to something, at least in the context that something influenced the natural progression of popular music in the 50's, 60's and 70's.

Maybe the shows I haven't seen yet will talk more about the studio musicians of the New York scene. They were referred to, and described as being something of an elitist group, but were never named or really discussed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic