RIP Keith Emerson

skaladar

Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:10 pm

I'm crushed to learn that Keith Emerson passed away last night. He was IMHO, a musician icon who pioneered electronic sound in rock. No one I ever heard could play with such fluidity, imagination, and passion like Keith Emerson.

Keith Emerson, Emerson, Lake and Palmer Keyboardist, Dead at 71 Read more: http://www.rollingstone.

Tonight, I'm going to open my best bottle of wine and listen to his "Piano Concerto #1" from Works Vol 1, and miss the person who more than anyone else, influenced my taste and love of music.

♫ - Ken - ♫

cosmicmechanic

Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:56 pm

Aw :( I found out about it here first.

I saw Emerson, Lake and Palmer live 3 times in the 70s.

I read Keith Emerson's (2004) autobiography "Pictures of an Exhibitionist" a couple years ago.
Quite a few anecdotes in there, but often in need of elaboration ... I feel that he holds back, somewhat.
Why ? Well, some stories could have gotten pretty raunchy, others diffamatory, but even for those about his lonesome, he stops a bit short.

I didn't feel much joy in it, which made me think that he put the book out only for financial reasons.

Keith has said that the members of ELP would have become quite rich, had it not been for his insistance
on unparalleled grandiose schemes, such as touring with their own symphony orchestra (!)
They ended up playing at a loss, even before large audiences.

And then ELP didn't succeed in making the evolution from Prog-Rock to whatever ...

But Keith Emerson was an inspired genius, for sure. RIP Keith.

Pierre

neverfoundthetime

Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:06 pm

Celebrate his life and music in style Ken, that's cool and fitting thing you are doing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic