Greg Lake in 2005

TGNeil

Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:19 pm

Hi Gang,

As you might know, I have recently been catching up on what has been going on with Greg Lake. I stumbled into a full concert from 2005 that included some amazing things, including Greg's young guitar-slinger Florian Opahle. This was apparently just posted on March 1, 2016 and had only 657 views when I found it on March 26. Check out as much as you like when you can.

Neil

sbutler

Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:00 pm

Neil, I really like this version of "From the Beginning". He's slowed it down just a bit, and it's almost got a bluesy feel. I seldom like live versions better than the original, but this is an exception.

Great find, thanks,
Scott

TGNeil

Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:17 pm

Scott,

I just finished the entire concert as I could not drag myself away. I have to admit I skipped through a couple things but the rendition of Pictures At An Exhibition, with a modified version of The Sage, ending with the Karn Evil encore was spectacular. Now on to later live stuff...

Neil

P.S. I should really be doing something more beneficial to the entire TG Community but this is too cool. Hopefully I can be forgiven for indulging in an occasional tangential diversion.

skaladar

Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:38 am

Wow, lots of surprises this weekend … So glad you found this Neil … thanks for the heads up!

I too couldn’t drag myself away, perhaps not the best sort of thing to start at 2:00AM, but worth it as I just finished watching the entire concert.

I was a little worried when Greg mentioned rearranging “Take a Pebble” to feature more guitar but after seeing Florian Opahle’s performance I was glad they did. It’s not often you see a song stopped dead in the middle to introduce the soloist and then resume. That youngster (22 at the time) is crazy good and proved to be versatile throughout the show.

I agree that Pictures with The Sage segue and Karn Evil 9 encore was nothing short of spectacular. I did miss the classical section of the Sage. I’ve always considered that to be part of what sets The Sage apart. I suppose its inclusion may have clashed with Pictures at an Exhibition, which itself, a classical piece, was Mussorgsky's most famous piano composition … if that makes any sense.

All in all what I take away from this is that good music is so clearly timeless. This was recorded 11 years ago with a 22 year old featured performer playing pieces that date back to 1874 (Pictures) and the more contemporary stuff, decades before he was born. It’s no wonder that music of this caliber gives me the same thrill and excitement it did when I was 16 now that I am 60.

Thanks again Neil, I for one can certainly forgive your two hour indulgence :-)

♫ - Ken - ♫

chacho

Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:37 am

Hey

Thx for the link Neil I'm really enjoying it.
If anyone hasn't got time to watch all of it, I would recommend jumping to 25 mins of the video and enjoy about 5 mins of awesome acoustic guitar playing, I,ve watched that section 100 times over already ......... :)

Cheers

Marino

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic