Album Art

dottmcse85630

Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:19 pm

Anyone else miss the LP album art?

I remember when I would buy an album I'd place the vinyl on the turntable and sit down an scour the album cover and back, lucky if it was a fold-out. I really miss those days of being able to do that now that we have CD's and MP3's on our phones and such.
Still remember the day I bought my very first LP, it was Paul Simon's Kodachrome. I'd listen to that for hours and some how that record felt so valuable as if I were holding gold, but it went so much further than any material thing could. I love the way music touches the soul!

I really appreciated the artists who would tell a story all through the album, song after song they all related in some and to me these artists really had to dig deep to pull it all together. Comes to mind are Alan Parsons "I Robot" and Roger Waters "Radio K.A.O.S." I know there a many others but age is blocking recollection!

Also I have found many tunes I like that are just album cuts and never made it to "Top" anything, but sound and resonate to me.

Ahh the good old days! Thankfully as Carly sang "These are the good old days" I am finding that in the TG community.

Dennis

Music Junkie

Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:25 pm

Dennis:

You are not alone in your love for album art and old LP's. I would imagine that most folks here are fans as well. We have had parts of this discussion before.

I have very fond memories of rushing home from the store with a new album and laying on the floor looking it over while listening to the album from beginning to end. I for one, even get nostalgic about the pops and hisses from the records... ;)

Jason

TGNesh

Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:03 pm

Same here Dennis!

I could look at and into those albums like ALL the time while listening. I had for example the blue and red album (among others) of The Beatles and i just couldn't get over how different they looked when you compared the front and back sides. It was just totally fascinating to me! I stared at it for hours. And the lyrics too, i was of course singing along! ;)

So yeah, i'm with you!

Ness

auntlynnie

Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:48 pm

Oh, yes, Dennis, you are bringing back such happy old memories. I, too, loved that Kodachrome album with a little something for each song - I particularly recall the two chairs for "One Man's Ceiling".

I also liked reading all the names of the studio musicians and knowing who played on whose albums and how they connected to different performers.

I now have a coffee table book of album art. I get it out once in awhile... but it doesn't have the album notes. :(

Thems was good times!
Lynn

michelew

Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:05 pm

Yep! I'm with everyone else. I used to love looking at all the candid photos of the artist/band; which sometimes gave you a bit more info about who they are as people too.

Lynn - you could have some good conversations with my partner. She used to work in a record store and often tells me about the backing vocalist and support musicians who played on various albums; especially the country-rock, country-folk stuff.

Yeh... Buying stuff straight from iTunes these days means missing out on that stuff.

M

neverfoundthetime

Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:00 am

Absolutely, album art was a huge part of the music experience way back then. I'd take my new Moody Blues album back to my college digs and listen to the record on repeat and leaf through the lyrics and notes and drink it all in on a much deeper level than today. They were proud trophies to have. You certainly get less for your money today, that is, if you are actually buying your music! ;-)

auntlynnie

Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:03 am

You are right, Michele - I love talking with others who also studied the liner notes!

As Neverfoundthetime mentioned, buying albums was such a multi-layered experience!

Remember this one? Image

cosmicmechanic

Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:03 am

auntlynnie wrote:
You are right, Michele - I love talking with others who also studied the liner notes!

As Neverfoundthetime mentioned, buying albums was such a multi-layered experience!

Remember this one? Image
Lynn ... that album is the ONLY vinyl I have kept, and I bought it when it first came out :)

Pierre

auntlynnie

Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:23 pm

Pierre - I got rid of all of my vinyl, then picked this one up again just because I had to have it and show it to my kids.

Lynn

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic