Prince

jayswett

Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:23 am

I did not notice any references to Prince's recent passing on the forum, and I really was not surprised by that as Prince generally was not someone I spent much time following. Having said that, it turns out, to my surprise, that he was a pretty amazing guitar player (at least from what I can tell) and the following video demonstrates that well. I had never seen this video prior to hearing about it last week on NPR. Have a look. Prince doesn't show up until the second half.

Jay

I will add another video link that shows his talent acoustically as well.

dtaylor

Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:02 pm

His talent as a guitarist went unrecognised during his lifetime, he was massively underrated due to the nonsense that surrounded his stage persona. It's reminiscent of Jack White, a musical genius of almost unmatched talent.

crieniecat

Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:00 pm

Jay thanks for sharing this video. I loved it!!!
I could have listened to that guitar going on all evening....so cool...

Listening to it again B)

Corina.

tombo1230

Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:01 pm

dtaylor wrote:
His talent as a guitarist went unrecognised during his lifetime, he was massively underrated due to the nonsense that surrounded his stage persona. It's reminiscent of Jack White, a musical genius of almost unmatched talent.
I first saw this concert for George Harrison on tv a few years ago and bought it on BlueRay as soon as I could. I was blown away by Prince's guitar playing, up until that point I thought he was all show, but realized as I watched, that he was mega talented.

R.I.P. Prince.

Tom N.

michelew

Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:37 pm

.... I was really saddened to hear about his death... I considered posting something on TG, but ... I didn't expect many of you to be into him in truth.

I have to admit that I haven't listened to him much lately. But, I was heavily into Prince in the 80s and early 90s. I loved his music. I loved his complexity; the way he was a mix of male and female energies, his wicked sexuality, his groove, his spirituality, the way he could be so vulnerable and so seemingly egotistical too, but also tongue in cheek; his sense of fun and general showmanship. I loved his James Brown style dancing. And of course his musicianship.

He was here in Sydney not too long ago. I wish I'd seen him...

The world is poorer for losing him...

Here is his induction into the RocknRock hall of fame.

Here he is funking-out on the bass too. I've been dancing around my lounge room to this one this morning.

neverfoundthetime

Sun May 01, 2016 6:01 am

Prince was an amazing musician and performer without a shadow of doubt. I saw him in Zürich and the concert was fantastic and I hear the after party was pretty cool too (he was famous for those too). He really could play guitar. At the same time his stage act showcased his ability, it also clouded who he was, I'd have liked to have seen more him as in the acoustic clip above. As much as I admired his ability, he's not someone who touched me in any way, bit like David Bowie, odd that.

chacho

Sun May 01, 2016 6:48 am

Thx Jay for the link of Prince playing acoustic I ve not seen that before.

I too grew up listening to Prince in the eighties " Purple Rain " his 6th album and " 1999 " was the ones that grabbed my attention and I was blown away with it all.

His later stuff was not floating my boat and he escaped my attention for a very long time.

I also now wished I saw him live but having said that I did see Bob Dylan live recently and wished I didn't bother as it was a real disappointment and my hero was no more.

Apparently it was Prince jumping off all the amps in his high heels during his live shows that led to the need for pain killers but that might be just media hype.............

R.I.P

dottmcse85630

Sun May 01, 2016 9:16 am

Very much the same for me. Prince was not an artist that I avidly followed, I'd listen to his tunes on the radio but that was about it.
I do appreciate his musical talent and I wish I had just an inkling of what he had. But NOOOOO I gots'ta struggle with the guitar.

I have not followed closely as to what caused his death but it makes me take account how life can change in just an instant.
Live long and prosper my friends. Or better yet Party like its 1999!!!!

Dennis

Music Junkie

Sun May 01, 2016 9:38 am

"Little Red Corvette", "1999", the "Purple Rain" album.... pretty much the same for me.. I enjoyed those tunes as a kid, but was never a big fan of his. I did see some of his later performances, including the videos you posted, and thought to myself, "Man, this dude can play. Why did he need all of that flash ad fireworks?"... I hadn't thought much about him in the last several years. When I heard about his death, it really came as a shock. He was so young...

I watched a little clip a few days ago, with an interview of one of his friends. He was explaining how Prince had become so private, and really wanted the spotlight to be on others, because he had already had his time. Also, many of the concerts/shows that he was doing were directly tied to the charities that he had begun, to raise money for scholarships and many other things. I was fascinated by the information in that clip, and it truly made me look at the man in a different light. My respect for him grew immensely. I had now idea he was doing any of that, and that is how he wanted it. All I ever saw or thought of, was his persona on stage, and his whole name change thing...

Sad news for sure. :(

TGNesh

Mon May 02, 2016 2:54 pm

I of course grew up in the eighties, so yeah Prince was awesome!!! :cheer:

He wasn't only a fabulous guitar player, he was a multi multi multi-instrumentalist. Back then i heard that he could play like 27 instruments and that was YEARS ago. The guy was a %$^#&$ genius! :blink: :ohmy:

I was pretty stunned to hear about his death....even in denial, thinking it was a joke, but obviously it turned out to be true... :(

So long my brother.

Ness

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic