RIP Leon Russell

Rbinding

Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:26 pm

Another great musician has passed. I grew up in Oklahoma, listening to Leon Russell and JJ Cale. We used to drive past Leon's house, hoping to catch a glimpse of him. I did see him several times in concert as well as JJ in Tulsa. It's hard accepting how it feels like a little piece of me dies with each of these great artists that have passed recently. I guess this process isn't going to reverse, so I better get used to it. If you haven't seen Concert for the Bangladesh, Leon's performance of Jumpin' Jack Flash/Youngblood is one of my favorites.

Ron

davidrfinn99165

Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:38 pm

I'm sorry to hear of Leon's passing too Ron...... and i agree with you on Concert For BanglaDesh...Leon's performances are an absolute highlight of the show. I love that long slow drawl coming in for a verse of Beware of Darkness, and i remember thinking i had to find out who was that guy. A wonderful career and a great songwriter too.

auntlynnie

Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:28 pm

I, too, was a big Leon Russell fan and saw him several times in concert in the seventies, and once recently.
The performances at the concert for Bangladesh were amazing, and yes, David, his voice coming in on Beware of Darkness is so memorable - I'll always remember that live performance.

As Ron said, as we get older, of course our musical heroes will, too, and this is another sad reminder.
When I saw Leon perform a couple of years ago he was using a cane and looked fragile.

Lynn

Rbinding

Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:59 pm

I know we are all getting older. Sometimes it hurts, sometimes it hurts more. As you said, Lynn, he was getting frail. The last time I saw BB King, I could see him offstage in a wheelchair, while an assistant was polishing his shoes. When it came time to come on stage, two assistants were by his side helping him walk to his chair in front of the microphone. He sat the entire performance, and then they helped him offstage. No one in the audience would know he was in a wheelchair. Same with the last time I saw Johnny Winter. He had to be assisted on and off stage and could only sit in a chair during the performance. I guess I have to accept that we are all getting old. I just don't like that we are losing so many musical icons of our time!

Ron

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic