Pete Huttlinger

wrsomers

Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:41 pm

This coming Monday will be the second anniversary of Pete's untimely passing. If you were to ask me who is my favorite acoustic guitar player/teacher, without hesitation I would name Pete Huttlinger. A truly gentle soul whose guitar playing is without peer (Tommy Emmanuel comes to mind), but for all-round musicality and teaching method I would chose Pete. Somewhere recently, someone on this forum said he thinks he knows excellence when he sees it. So do I, and I vote for this musician/teacher who appeared at Carnegie Hall three times, and won the 2000 National Fingerstyle Guitar Championship. Rest in peace Pete, you added such artistry and joy to the music world and enriched all of our lives!

PS
Both of these videos were performed after surviving both a major stroke and end-stage heart failure which left his right side paralyzed and him unable to speak. He turned that into "Don't Just Live, Live Well," a presentation on how he overcame what seemed to be insurmountable obstacles. "Don't Just Live, Live Well" was embraced by audiences.

familyman4

Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:57 pm

Not to mention when he toured with John Denver. Playing guitar, banjo, mandolin and anything else that needed to be done for the music!

What a sense of humor he had as well. I had the pleasure of meeting him several times and still keeping in touch with his widow, Erin. She sent me a copy of the book that they wrote together before he passed away, "Joined At The Heart"' From the foreward by John Oates, to the rest of the book, telling Pete's story, it is a good read for anyone wanting to be inspired by his remarkable spirit and resilience.

My regret is that I was never able to join Pete & Erin at any of his home learning camps in Nashville or his guitar & fly fishing camp in Montana.

Certainly one of my guitar hero's!

Bart

wrsomers

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:39 am

Thanks Bart!

wrsomers

Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:20 pm

:unsure:

Rbinding

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:22 pm

Pete was also one of my favorites. I have a couple of instructional videos and had followed his health issues for some time before he passed. A great person, a terrific musician, and a great loss.

Ron

tombo1230

Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:32 pm

Rbinding wrote:
Pete was also one of my favorites. I have a couple of instructional videos and had followed his health issues for some time before he passed. A great person, a terrific musician, and a great loss.

Ron
Likewise and couldn’t agree more. A really nice guy with a great sense of humour, not to mention a heck of a fingerpicking virtuoso.

Tom N.

wrsomers

Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:40 pm

Can’t wait to hear/see what Neil has cooked up for a Huttlinger lesson.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic