Moondog

Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:42 pm

Thanks
I enjoy these little segments.....

Mike

izzyhara

Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:03 pm

Many have already said it....
But I love these sessions. I find them very inspirational.
Keep it up...
Izzy

ktyevols

Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:14 pm

This is great....love to see how Neal works out a song....if only I could do the same......Ken

tovo

Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:25 pm

The main point is how fantastic it is to watch Neil pick up a song in just a few brief moments. Something to aspire to but I suspect it's a bit of a gift as well. I agree with everyone who said these short flip sessions are really, really great. Whoever thought up this concept (You Matt?) it was a great idea.

Secondly to hear Neil play "Who wants to live forever" was very moving for me even though I'm sure he would say he was just experimenting with it. We lost a close friend and a wonderful lady recently and they played that song at her funeral. I went from barely holding it together to a mess in record time. Beautiful song. The power of music eh?

Very enjoyable to watch guys, thank you both.

wrench

Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:31 pm

I am simply in awe of this video, and if I am hearing it right, even Matt was impressed.

I was going to post a gag "video response" to one of Neil's teaser videos out on the 'net. The song is Behind Blue Eyes, and the teaser was a little ambiguous about a couple of things. I am SO glad I didn't post it, but the point is I watched that teaser and played the song clean including the missing parts in three passes - about 5 minutes. It's a really easy song and this was no big deal. I'm certain all of us can do some things musically because of what we learned here at TG, but I couldn't have have done it before TG, and I didn't expect to learn such things at TG.

And then Matt posts this video, and it makes me contemplate in earnest just what are Neil's musical limits? Then I ask what are our musical limits?

Tony, you are right about the song. I too have listened to this song in a non-entertaining context, and when you're down it just grinds you into the dirt. I don't know if Matt's selection of this song was random or if he carefully selected it for the force it brings to the experience this video delivers, but it puts an exclamation point on the awe of Neil's gift.

Well done Matt and Neil. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Dan

TGMatt

Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:36 pm

Nice comments...TOny sorry for your loss mate..

I posted it because for me it is on my top 10 of songs that I go to when I am totally miserable and struggling...." I touch your core ..with my finger tips"....

Here is original

d_dog

Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:20 am

Great post guys, it's really neat to see the "process", very impressive. Neil is so no big deal about it, and I understand his point, but it's still impressive.

Music Junkie

Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:25 am

Thanks for posting this guys. It is great to watch Neil work through a song like that. Very inspiring for those of us out here who want to figure songs out for ourselves as well.

Have to mention that the Queen song is from a movie called "Highlander". One of my favorites when I was younger..... :)

MJ

BigBear

Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:14 am

Music Junkie wrote:
Have to mention that the Queen song is from a movie called "Highlander". One of my favorites when I was younger..... :)

MJ
I don't even know why, but Princes of the Universe has always been one of my favorites from Queen. Somehow, I don't think that one'll adapt as nicely to acoustic guitar...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic