Matt and Neil flip out on Tommy Emmanuel..

tovo

Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:05 pm

Play Tommy E just like Tommy E? Why would anyone want to? It's like when I see Elvis impersonators. Makes me laugh. To borrow a line from a great film, there can be only one.

I'd sure like to be able to use some of Tommy's techniques, but to learn one of his songs and play it just like him (however unlikely that is) would just mean you have learned to imitate him for a song. What about the rest of the concert! :)

Really enjoyed that conversation. Thanks guys.

dennisg

Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:21 pm

tovo wrote:
Play Tommy E just like Tommy E? Why would anyone want to? It's like when I see Elvis impersonators. Makes me laugh. To borrow a line from a great film, there can be only one.

I'd sure like to be able to use some of Tommy's techniques, but to learn one of his songs and play it just like him (however unlikely that is) would just mean you have learned to imitate him for a song. What about the rest of the concert! :)

If a genie came out of his bottle and granted you the ability to play Norwegian Wood just like Tommy, would you have any objection to that?

hasben

Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:26 pm

Denny, now why would you mess a guy's Mojo like that? Tony Tovo has made his own mark with Norwegina Wood... unique in it's own way.

tovo

Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:31 pm

dennisg wrote:
tovo wrote:

If a genie came out of his bottle and granted you the ability to play Norwegian Wood just like Tommy, would you have any objection to that?
I would actually. I don't like the way he plays it. Of course I don't like the way I play it either!

Just an edit to clarify because that sounded really ungracious. I think Tommy is a genius and one of a kind. I simply don't like what he does with a number of songs, Classical Gas is one, Norwegian Wood he plays different each time. Sometimes I like, other times I don't. I wish a genie could grant me his ability, that I wouldn't object to at all.

johnrfeeney

Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:20 pm

really appreciate the format - like having Neil in the kitchen and having a conversation

thank you

quincy451

Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:21 am

Nice to see the clarification, without holding anything back. I know when I started up on the guitar again, I wanted to play Tommy Emmanuel's Guitar Boogie and Stevie's Blues. I have fallen back somewhat, and went with Author Smith's guitar boogie from way back. Much more attainable and still fun, and still a work in progress. I have seen what I consider to be accurate tabs for both these songs and they are nothing but brutal.

I think it is on point that Tommy spent a life time working on his craft to get where he has gotten, youtube has good coverage on that if you dig for it. Some of us at midlife (speaking about myself) are not going to pick up a guitar and with a little practice get anywhere near that. But we might be able to play some blues or play some of your favorite tunes in some fashion. Me I take comfort in my fathers relationship with guitar. He would play it for hours when I was a kid. But he couldn't play anything. Didn't know a single chord or anything about it, he just liked to strum it and make noise. He found it relaxing. My goal in my first pass with guitar back in the 70's was to do better than that.

Next for me, I will try "those who wait". A piece that is more about precision than speed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic