Matt and Neil flip out on Tommy Emmanuel..

TGMatt

Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:56 pm

Hey guys...

We recorded this Sunday, and I had no idea he was going to put the Guitars up for Auction so ...providence...

Hope you get something useful from this

Cheers

MarkM

Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:45 pm

Guys this was great. Really enjoyed this conversation. I like the whole idea as to personal style and what that may or may not be. I couldn't agree more that this is a place to first recognize what tools one wants/needs in order to play a certain song or artist. From there it is following Neil's directions on how to utilize/practice those tools in order to become more adept at using them. You do this in such a way throughout the various lessons that one doesn't necessarily know that they are infact building upon a foundation that will allow progression in ability. From there you take these "tools" to perform or practice a piece of music that adds another layer upon what has already been learned. I see this happening to me, in some cases, in dramatic fassion. With that, confidence grows, which allows us to tackle a song that we wouldn't have even considered before. Now with that foundation starting to take on some framing (to use a house medaphore) that prieviously "unattainable" song becomes something that can be learned. From there little bits and pieces of "personal style" will eventually work their way into ones interpratation of the music. Long ramble here but I really like the methodology that is being used on this site. For far too long I have aimlessly tried to play the guitar and never really learned the guitar. Still much too much to learn but I am certainly enjoying the journey.

MarkM

cosmicmechanic

Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:51 pm

This video has real "meat around the bones" and I enjoy the laid-back format. Don't be shy, do it whenever or wherever, because it works.

Pierre

dekotaj

Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:23 am

Hey Matt,Neil,Ive got to say that these flip out vids have been fun to watch.But unlike the other this one is thought provoking.At lest for me I started to think about why i started playing again.and at 52 where do i really think i can take this?I never thought I would play like Tommy Emmanuel.But when you showed me a better way to play Layla,you told me to play the C chord in the first position.Heck didn't even know I was playing a C chord.I joined this site thinking I was a ok guitarist.Who need to learn more about playing.The learning part was right.But i said some where that if you were a TEN then i was a 4.And at the time I thought that to be true.But i see now after trying to learn songs like Hey Hey.Leaving on a jet plane,And yes struggling with needle and the damage done.That to really play these song and this guitar it is going to take alot more on my part than just thinking I was a 4.

IT took alot of typing to say all of this,When i should have just typed

THANK YOU!!

A greatful student
Kevin

Music Junkie

Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:53 am

Matt & Neil:

These little clips are great. I really like the informal take.

Thanks for placing this one up, as it is so important for us to get a firm grip on what we need to expect of ourselves, and what you are trying to give us. It is hard not to get overexcited about learning a really cool song, only to be kicked in the butt because it is just too advanced for the level at which are currently. Tough lesson to learn, but a very important one.....

As Neil pointed out, it is a long process. I am just glad that you guys are making it a fun one.....

Thanks guys!

MJ

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:11 am

Flip Out is a great informal format and the content is really useful, full of insights to what we are doing. Thanks and keep flipping out guys!

hasben

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:28 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Flip Out is a great informal format and the content is really useful, full of insights to what we are doing. Thanks and keep flipping out guys!
I agree Chris. I would add: Tis much better to be flipped out than flipped off.

BobR

Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:46 pm

Neil/Matt,

I am enjoying these chats. It gives me some perspective on where I am as a guitar player and where I want or would like to be.

Thanks

Bob

Moondog

Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:48 pm

I want to thank Matt and Neil for putting stuff like this up for us. I hope you know how much it is enjoyed.

Mike

mmmbldo

Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:11 pm

I am really enjoying these flip out segments...please don't stop! I am wondering, though, if Neil is beginning to feel as if they are eerily like the "Truman Show." :silly:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic