Here a litle video from my son Jasper.
Yesterday he ask me for guitar lesson.
Now he have some questions.

cheers.............Anton

sorry i see not the video.
I have select by file.IMG

Hydroman52

Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:23 pm

Anton . . . . . . something didn't go right. There is no video . . . . . . or is it me?

Hydroman52

Yamaha48

Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:29 pm

Hydroman52 wrote:
Anton . . . . . . something didn't go right. There is no video . . . . . . or is it me?

Hydroman52
I try to find my mistake.

Yamaha48

Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:11 pm

Oke i have the link for youtube.

cheers.....Anton

willem

Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:17 pm

yamaha48 wrote:
Hello my friends.

Here a litle video from my son Jasper.
Yesterday he ask me for guitar lesson.
Now he have some questions.

cheers.............Anton

sorry i see not the video.
I have select by file.IMG

Hi Anton,,i think you could use the student channel for upload this question,, i think that is the best place...Maybe Neil will answer also..

Yamaha48

Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:19 pm

Thanks my friend Willem.....

cheers.............

Chasplaya

Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:29 pm

Hi Jasper and Anton,

Very nice to meet you Jasper and it's also great that you want to learn the guitar as well, so you've come to the right place! ;)

As for your question, I did kinda expect for you to have big hands as your dad does. I could get into your question of course, but I'm pretty sure that Neil covers it and much more about that in the Beginners-Free-lessons, so check those out!

And your dad pm-ed me with this question wich I answered, I'm sure he'll tell you! :)

Good luck on your guitar-journey Jasper, if you have more questions then fire away!

Cheers

Vanessa

tovo

Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:47 pm

Hi Jasper.

Well you are a much more handsome Dutchman than your Father mate! :)

I don't think that the size of your hands should be a problem. I have 3 sons myself and my 10 year old plays my Taylor Big Baby with no real problem. That would be a very good choice for you as well. A very nice fingerboard and feel, at a reasonable cost. The Taylor GS mini would also be perfect. It's a big sound for a small guitar. You can see one if you look at the video of Dennis playing with me in Seattle.

Of course, if your Dad REALLY loved you he would get you a Taylor 914. You will grow into it! (That's a joke, go with my other more serious suggestions).

Good luck Jasper! Look forward to your first video.

AndyT

Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:03 am

Hello Jasper!

What kind of guitar is a very personal decision that only you can make. Go to the guitar store and play everything they have and that will give you a good place to start.

What size guitar is the same kind of decision. Hand size is not important. My granddaughter was playing my dreadnaught size guitar when she was very young with very small hands. It is more a question of technique than hand size.

I always advise people to start with a steel string acoustic because if you can play it well, then all other kinds of guitar will be easier. My second choice would be a classical style guitar. Both are good choices. You decide what sounds good and feels good to you and that's the one you get.

Strings. If you have sweaty hands, then use coated strings. They will last longer. Otherwise you can use uncoated strings as they sound a little crisper when new, but the sound does not last as long as the coated string.

But ask your Father which ones you may try since he is paying for it.

Many different things to choose from to make the sound that will become yours. Let us know which one you choose in your next video.

michelew

Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:18 am

Hey Jasper, hi from Sydney.

Well it's sure nice to meet you. For starters ignore what Tony said about the Taylor 914, he's just teasing your Dad. I'm sure that your Dad shows you he loves you every day, not the least of which is sharing his love of music with you and starting you on your musical journey by showing you some basics about guitar and introducing you to TG.

Check out the free 2 week beginners' course as Vanessa has suggested. That will kick start your playing, tell you what you need to know right now and give you lots of chords to get started with. You'll be making music before you know it.

Don't be worried about small hands. Lots of women have little hands and they get on just fine. It's about practice and practice and practice and more practice. Take Muriel Anderson for example. She is one of the most phenomenal players in the world, a real musicians' musician, and she doesn't have huge hands, especially compared to Neil's. Besides, chances are your hands will grow as you do, so things that might seem tricky now will get easier as you grow and especially as you practice them. Everyone, no matter how big their hands are, finds that they can reach further as they just keep reaching and trying to reach further and learn what they need to know.

If your Dad or someone else is able to get you a guitar that's great. You're a luck young man. To find out what works for you, go to a music store and try all sorts of different guitars until you find one that feels good for your size and sounds good to you. It might be a 3/4 size or it might be a full size guitar. Ask the sales people in the music store about the type of guitar that they would recommend for new players like you too. Once you've found the type of body shape, neck width, scale length (that's how long the neck is) and the sorts of string you like (steel strings or nylon) then you and your Dad can think about a good way of finding a guitar like that for you.

How exciting!!

And man your English is FANTASTIC.

Have fun. That's the most important thing. It's important that you enjoy the whole process, that will help you stick with.

You have a fabulous fun journey ahead of you. I can't wait to hear you play something.

Keep us posted about how you go.

Anton - you're a prince among men. You have a wonderful son. Gee I wonder who helped to make him into such a sweet and gorgeous young man.

Michele

++Added later - Andy - mate I just read your post. We must have been typing at the same time. Gee I can't believe I took so long to get mine up. But great minds think alike right.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic