Looking for a receptive audience?

Guitarmom

Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:14 am

I'll preface by stating that I know why you looked in this forum. You are looking for a place to play that will put some money in your pocket. But until you get to the point where people will pay to hear your music... and especially after you are adept enough to play well and put on a show, you will NEVER find a more appreciative audience, as you will in a nursing home or hospital. Obviously you will have to select music that meets the demographic of the audience at hand. By including songs that span genres, styles and adding a few that your grandparents would love to hear, you will broaden your understanding of music and become a much more rounded musician. Don’t think for a moment that you have to sing or play Brahms at a nursing home. They like EVERYTHING! Bringing a few Fake books helps to fill in the chords (or words) you might not know. Just call head to see if the facility welcomes entertainers and you have an instant audience. At the same time, you will be bringing happiness to a group of people who need to get their mind off of their personal ills and just have some fun, if only for the length of a song or two.

And by the way, you will leave feeling a little bit richer than when you arrived! 0:)

rcsnydley

Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:36 am

For those living in the San Francisco Bay Area there is a program called Bread & Roses that seeks volunteers to perform for institutionalized audiences. No website as far as I know but the phone # is 415-945-7120

If I still lived down there I would do it.

As for "paying" gigs... if you're just starting to play out you might find a coffee house or wine bar that would let you play for tips only. There's no risk for them and you get experience, exposure, and maybe better things down the road.

quincy451

Mon May 04, 2009 12:05 am

Yea a guy I used to work with made a string of pay gigs doing this on paino.

Chasplaya

Sat May 16, 2009 9:28 pm

A friend of mine here in NZ plays for free at a Hairdressers, he actually gets a little extra work from that. I've played for free at some work functions I haven't got anything out of that but hey its great fun. Also one of my staff plays at homes and hospices with his church group he gets a lot of satisfaction from that

bosco

Thu May 21, 2009 5:31 pm

These are good ideas, I will have to try one of them.

Chasplaya

Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:05 am

I've got a gig coming up, at work we have what is called a perpetual band it evolves with the time. Its a band made up of Police staff and they only play for Police functions. Well I have just been invited to join and play a major gig probably first time outside of a Police function. Every year NZ has a national day called White Ribbon day its about Domestic & Family Violence awareness, well the POlice band is playing at an open air concert in the square of my home town. Its done for free and I have written a song especially for the occasion, my lyrics CCR tune, my song is called 'Who'll Stop The Pain' We are getting a half hour set and may also be asked to play back up for another singer. So its serious practice for this boy.

haoli25

Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:37 am

"Good on Ya'" Chas Congratulations.

Let us know how it turns out.

Chasplaya

Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:51 am

haoli25 wrote:
"Good on Ya'" Chas Congratulations.

Let us know how it turns out.
For sure.

The set we are playing includes so far

All Along The Watchtower
Folsom Prison Blues
Luka
Get Rythym
Horse With No Name
And my song

We might even get it recorded if our practices indicate its worthwhile

KennyF

Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:41 am

Too bad the band name, "The Police," is already taken!

Oh Oh I better watch out. I might get yelled at again at for hijacking a thread--even though I added only one reply to a thread that was on its eighth page of hijacked content...

Chasplaya

Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:26 am

The Band is one that keeps going and the line up changes depending on who is attached to the Station at the time, rule is must be a Police employee, its called 2Fish and 1/2 a Scoop (its a NZ thing!!)

Current line up has Drummer, two Bass players, keyboard player, vocalist, and three rythym guitars and one rythym / lead.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic