Set Lists, Song Lists, Wing it?

chacho

Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:37 am

Here's another question I'm curious about from the TG crowd. When going into a performance/gig what do you use? A set list? A song list? Nothing?

I've used set lists in band situations before. As a solo performer I find I use song lists exclusively. I believe song selection for a solo performer--or any performers for that matter--should be based on crowd mood, tastes, etc. A set list might start out OK but if the crowd seems to, say, prefer your blues numbers it's nice to have the flexibility to pull more blues songs to replace the more classical or folksy numbers.

All that said, I do try to open with a catchy, showier piece that I'm comfortable with playing "cold".

rcsnydley

Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:21 am

When I played keyboards professionally with a Reggae band we used a set list. Since we were a Reggae band we didn't have to consider other genres. It doesn't mean we couldn't add or change around some of the songs we played, i.e. if there was a lot of Bob Marley request we could swap out some other songs for some more Marley songs.

Keep Playing
Ric

agentcooper

Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:49 pm

With our band, since we are a trio and do all originals, we definitely need to get a feel for the crowd to see what they would be most receptive to. If it's in an unfamiliar environment, we'll usually open with a hard-hitting but still catchy song (if only psychedelic punk were a genre). If it's a show to a bunch of friends, we'll open with a more jammy song, because it feels more warm, and we aren't under the microscope of a judgmental, determining whether or not we'll continue to gig at their venue. So as far as that goes, our rule of thumb is to look at the mindstate of the audience (drunk, sober, annoyed, just looking for a good time) and apply it to the songs we choose and the order we play them in.

Cover bands have it a bit harder, cause if they aren't 100% on their game, there will be no reception except for an annoyed crowd and booker.

-Dale

RicksPick

Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:40 am

agentcooper wrote:
With our band, since we are a trio and do all originals, we definitely need to get a feel for the crowd to see what they would be most receptive to. If it's in an unfamiliar environment, we'll usually open with a hard-hitting but still catchy song (if only psychedelic punk were a genre). If it's a show to a bunch of friends, we'll open with a more jammy song, because it feels more warm, and we aren't under the microscope of a judgmental, determining whether or not we'll continue to gig at their venue. So as far as that goes, our rule of thumb is to look at the mindstate of the audience (drunk, sober, annoyed, just looking for a good time) and apply it to the songs we choose and the order we play them in.

Cover bands have it a bit harder, cause if they aren't 100% on their game, there will be no reception except for an annoyed crowd and booker.

-Dale
Dale,

So it sounds like your band goes off a song list then?

agentcooper

Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:26 pm

Not exactly, more of a generalization based on the how we feel walking around the venue and meeting the employees. And plus we don't have a library of songs, since we do all originals, and as much as I love digressing into the 12 bar blues, jazz standards, and tripped out jams, I'd much rather play our songs and have that be that. I got the idea from watching the Instrument DVD by Fugazi.

It's a really interesting look into the underground scene from a band who was a supergroup of living punk rock legends. Er, hardcore punk, if you want to get specific. But Fugazi is so much more than a punk band. They dabble in virtually every style, and if clean, overcompressed vocals just don't cut it for you, but you're still into the heartfelt raw passion that the can be conveyed in music, Fugazi is probably one of the most amazing bands I'll never get to see. Also, their ethics as a band (only playing 5 dollar shows, always all ages) have been extremely influential on my idealistic side of what I want to accomplish as a musician, which I have to balance with the realist side where I have to remember not to quit my day job. B)

-Dale

P.S. That was a bit of a rant, but I feel quite strongly about Fugazi.

simm0ns77

Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:45 pm

Wasn't one of the members of Fugazi in Minor Threat?

agentcooper

Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:19 pm

Yeah, the original lineup of Fugazi was a trio, and Ian Mackaye (singer from Minor Threat) was the guitarist (72 SG through JCM 800), but then they added Guy Picciotto from Rites of Spring originally on freestanding background vox, and then eventually moved him to guitar (Ricky 330 through JCM 900). The early footage of them is fantastic. Their energy and passion is unparalleled by any band I've ever seen, and they definitely created a completely unique sound.

Sorry... I'm a bit of a nerd.

-Dale

AndyT

Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:48 pm

No worries Dale. Many of us here at TG at closet nerds.

songman52

Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:59 am

And some of us are out-of-the-closet nerds.

When I played solo I just went by a song list, starting off with something comfortable to warm up. Usually "If I Was A Carpenter".

With our band, we use set lists, though we sometimes skip over or add songs depending on the crowd reaction.

"We get lots of requests, but we keep playing anyway!"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic