How do you write?

AndyT

Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:12 pm

LOL Dale. That is such a pub song.

agentcooper

Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:12 pm

I know! I saw them play it at The Fillmore, but good suggestion for a song to play next time we play a pub full of Mountain Goats fans... :S

Lyrically, it's like contemporary young country if it had some balls. But I should watch out who I bash, cause I might get hog tied and dragged behind a junker pickup truck for saying "Brad Paisley sucks unless he's ONLY playing guitar", which are my exact feelings on John Mayer. Great guitarist, but sings like he's trying to sleep with every college girl too classy for beer pong and sticks to margaritas.

I'm not exactly a cynic though, I just enjoy making obscure observations about talented artists I'll never get the pleasure of having an honest conversation with.

-Dale

mike_cvpi

Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:08 pm

I usually have a thought/feeling that I want to express. Often I will pick up the guitar and depending on the feeling I want to invoke I will strum a major or minor progression and some words start to come. Then the chord sequence and timing will begin to match the words as I attempt to link words and music. I try various timings and rythyms until it feels honest and right. Sometimes another idea will emerge as I create and therefore I will often wind up with 2 or 3 on the go at the same time. As a result I have a lot of good material and much of it not completed. The trick then is to stay excited about that stuff and eventually get it completed. If that sounds confusing, welcome to my world.

Mike

haoli25

Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:03 am

That makes perfect sense to me Mike. Good to have you in the TG Forum. If you have any questions, please ask. If you have any tips, please share.

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic