Singing & Playing Tips

AndyT

Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:19 pm

LOL.

rcsnydley

Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:41 pm

BigBear wrote:
AndyT wrote:
Bear made platinum! 320 is the magic number.
That's cuz I have to defend myself against you Thread Pirates!!:lol: Do you get a new Santa Cruz or Collings guitar when you make Platinum? I read that somewhere I think. Do I have to pay for shipping?
I wish, I know I haven't got mine yet. How about you Chas?

Ric

willem

Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:57 am

Maybe i got a tip,nower days i understand the way's of strumming, example, the folk strumming number 1,.... one-two and-fake and four and.....,,well you know where the on the beats counts are(1-2-3-4)and where i have the most sukses with is that i try to get the sheetmusic(the notes) and look where the melody notes are (witch counts on, or off)and look how they fit in the strumming, for me is it the easyest way,but the melody singing perfectly also in the vertical way!!!! on witch count i come along, i hope you understand my writing and i have a question, on witch count begins ''BROWN EYED GIRL''??? WHEN YOU DOWNLOAD from chordie.com the lyrics and chords, what you see,well the first word (HEY)and above there the G..........THATS CONFUSING,because you begin to sing on the fake after one-two and!!

I hope i've done something right here!!!!

rcsnydley

Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:30 am

Willem - I wish I could be of more assistance to you, but I spend most of my music career playing by ear. If I want to learn the strum pattern of a song and were the lyrics fit in I listen to the sound. I can then hear the rhythm an get were the chord changes take place.

What I did for 'Brown Eyed Girl' was srite down all of the lyrics and then played through the saong and put the chords in the proper place. The strum pattern Neil shows is 1 2& &3 4& with downs on beats and ups on the &s - D DU UD DU.

I hope this helps at least a little. If you'd like I can send you what I have for chord placement.

Keep Playing
Ric

rcsnydley

Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:34 am

rcsnydley wrote:
Willem
The strum pattern Neil shows is 1 2& &3 4& with downs on beats and ups on the &s - D DU UD DU.
Keep Playing
Ric
I believe I made a slight mistake on the strum pattern, 1 2& &4& or D DU UDU. Neil correct me if I'm in error.

Ric

AndyT

Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:00 pm

Yep. There was an error there. 1 & 2 & & 3 4& is not a possible strum. At least not in the way you meant it.

It has to be D DU UDU or 1 2 & - & 4 &.

willem

Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:50 am

rcsnydley wrote:
Willem - I wish I could be of more assistance to you, but I spend most of my music career playing by ear. If I want to learn the strum pattern of a song and were the lyrics fit in I listen to the sound. I can then hear the rhythm an get were the chord changes take place.

What I did for 'Brown Eyed Girl' was srite down all of the lyrics and then played through the saong and put the chords in the proper place. The strum pattern Neil shows is 1 2& &3 4& with downs on beats and ups on the &s - D DU UD DU.

I hope this helps at least a little. If you'd like I can send you what I have for chord placement.

Keep Playing
Ric
Hi,i do know the strumming, but what i mean was when you down load the lirics with above the chords then it can be confusing(when there is not a examen by ear), when i know where to begin(''brown eyed girl'' on the third beat(HEY where ..)) then i come along with the other word segments and strumming,there can be a other diffucult when the singing note is syncopating the measer,but i come along,thanks!!
Willem

AndyT

Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:13 am

You are correct. The singing does not always start on the same beat as the music. you just have to listen and judge it.

Fred

Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:42 pm

This one has been tough for me...I've nover taken formal lessons in voice, but I can carry a tune (decent range, vibrato, etc). I don't perform anymore, so I only sing and work out my vocal cords for on my own (and sometimes for a captive audience!)

Anyway, I find playing the guitar and singing a tough challenge - at least to do both to what I'm expecting to hear from myself. The guitar palying is not "routine" and automatic enough since I still think about the upcoming chords/barre and related changes, timing etc. So the vocal suffers some since I still find it hard to relax the shoulders, neck and throat while playing.

For me, the playing is still not "auto-pilot" enough. It's coming along and I'm encouraged that I can play and sing some - but getting through an entire song playing and singing - is still tough.

Good Luck all...

Fred

songman52

Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:46 pm

Hi guys. First, Willem, I've found that the tab/chord sites such as chordie, echords, etc. don't always have the chord names in the right place, and sometimes don't have the correct chord here and there. So if you're not completely familiar with a song you might want to listen to it carefully several times, paying attention to where the chords change. Second, I enjoy reading the banter of you guys and appreciate the humor. I guess until now I've been a "lurker".
As for singing, I'm a tenor. Like you, snydely, I'm a singer first; I picked up the guitar to accompany myself.
Finally, I think one can improve vocal range within a limited boundary through practice.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic