Singing & Playing Tips

rcsnydley

Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:43 am

It seems that a lot of people have a hard time singing and playing, do you find this to be true? I always found that singing the song made it easier to play it, however, I also played it like I sang it so the timing may not always be right.

As I learned better timing (which I am still working on) I had to adjust my singing to fit. Now I did pick up guitar as a way to accompany my singing so I had a strong motivation to sing while playing as singing not guitar playing is my strong suit.

How about you? Are there any tips you can pass along to others that find it more difficult to play and sing? As I said above I don't have any tips because it just comes natural to me. Please, do not post links to other websites on this forum as they are not allowed. However, any information gleaned from them can definitely be shared.

Keep Singing
Ric

mike721

Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:08 am

Early on with me it seemed one or the other was going to suffer--voice or guitar. As I got better I found if I learned the guitar part first it was easier to add the vocals. That's what worked for me anyway.

BigBear

Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:06 pm

I found a really easy solution to this problem. I just have to suck equally at singing and playing the guitar. That way they can say "That guy is a terrible singer but he's really a lousy guitarist".

Works every time!! ;-)

speedie

Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:39 pm

I just perform naked. That way nobody seems to notice my bad singing or poor playing.

:cheer:

rcsnydley

Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:47 pm

How do explain it when they boo.:(

Ric

AndyT

Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:48 pm

LOL Speedie and Bear!

We have noise pollution laws here in Hawaii so I'm actually not allowed to sing. I'm almost not allowed to play either. I seem to be on the hard edge of jail time here...

BigBear

Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:01 pm

AndyT wrote:
LOL Speedie and Bear!

We have noise pollution laws here in Hawaii so I'm actually not allowed to sing. I'm almost not allowed to play either. I seem to be on the hard edge of jail time here...
Andy- I heard a rumor that you had taken over for the late, great Don Ho and now you sing "Tiny Bubbles" every night for 80 year-old widows while they belt down a few Mai Tai's or Blue Hawaiians. They don't hear so well anymore so they actually like your singing!!

As for me, I know I'm a really good singer. Every night when I play my guitar and sing my three Golden Retrievers line up and howl. I must be really good since Goldie's don't howl in general. After they howl their appreciation I give them a dog cookie!

AndyT

Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:25 pm

BigBear wrote:
Andy- I heard a rumor that you had taken over for the late, great Don Ho and now you sing "Tiny Bubbles" every night for 80 year-old widows while they belt down a few Mai Tai's or Blue Hawaiians. They don't hear so well anymore so they actually like your singing!!
SHHHHHHHHHhhhh!!!
Nobodys supposed to know that...

haoli25

Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:22 am

Andy, your fortune awaits you on Kalakaua. All you need is your guitar and an open guitar case. You might want to brush up on a few 'Surf Songs' too! lolol

AndyT

Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:29 am

I see someone has been to Waikiki.

Back to the topic,
I try and sing the song as soon as I can get my fingers doing it more or less smoothly. I also use a metronome since it helps my timing no end.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic