Singing & Playing Tips

BigBear

Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:09 am

AndyT wrote:
I see someone has been to Waikiki.

Back to the topic,
I try and sing the song as soon as I can get my fingers doing it more or less smoothly. I also use a metronome since it helps my timing no end.
How many bpm's is Tiny Bubbles, just in case I ever get the urge to sing and play it?

haoli25

Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:27 am

AndyT wrote:
I see someone has been to Waikiki.

Back to the topic,
I try and sing the song as soon as I can get my fingers doing it more or less smoothly. I also use a metronome since it helps my timing no end.

Andy that's where I got the name Haoli. lol

I lived in Hawaii for several years when I worked in Asia.

AndyT

Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:36 am

I wondered about your nick. But you spell Haole different. Your spelling made me think of Haoli (Happy) as in Happy New Year. Haoli Maka Hiki Ho.

You know, we had to take 'Mahalo' off all the rubbish cans because tourists though it meant 'trash' and were getting offended when locals said Mahalo to them.
Crazy tourists. Mahalo to you too! :laugh:

Bear, I think its around 80 BPM, sung drunkly.

BigBear

Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:53 am

Back to the topic a little. Is it possible to increase your singing range or is that just a myth? Especially as you get older? It's not so much of a problem when you play solo because you can capo up but when singing in a group it's hard. Do you go high and possibly miss the note or go low and sound stupid?

The obvious answer is to just not sing but that isn't always practical.

AndyT

Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:18 am

I have heard that the voice like any other part of you is subject to exercise and if you work it carefully you can do so much more than you thought with it. If your range actually improves, likely some, but more likely you just learn to actually use what you have.

BigBear

Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:28 am

AndyT wrote:
I have heard that the voice like any other part of you is subject to exercise and if you work it carefully you can do so much more than you thought with it. If your range actually improves, likely some, but more likely you just learn to actually use what you have.
I got a wild hair a couple of years ago and took singing lessons for a time. It was really fun but frightening. The best part was the warm up before actually singing. Like anything it helps to get everything loosened up.

I really wanted to hit that last high note in Nights in White Satin. I actually got to it pretty easily but now I can't even close. Pretty frustrating. A lot of people just say "go get the note" but I've never found it that easy. I suspect it would help to have some confidence that I could actually hit the note before I started!:lol:

AndyT

Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:31 am

I have a bass singing voice. As far as I'm concerned, 99% of these guys sing falsetto.

BigBear

Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:49 am

AndyT wrote:
I have a bass singing voice. As far as I'm concerned, 99% of these guys sing falsetto.
That's pretty unusual. Few male singers actually can sing true bass (basso). Far fewer can sing basso profundo (sp?) (Paul Robison?). Most are tenors or baritone. I sang baritone in church but my singing coach said I was a true tenor.

I think most rock singers are just tenors with better range than most of us. Falsetto is pretty hard to sing for a long time. Look what it did to Tiny Tim! Turned him into a ukulele player! LOL!

AndyT

Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:54 am

RLMBO!

Tiny Tim. Too funny!

Yeah, I think I'm actually more of a baritone, but when I sing with the choir they always have me sing the bass parts.

BigBear

Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:57 am

AndyT wrote:
Yeah, I think I'm actually more of a baritone, but when I sing with the choir they always have me sing the bass parts.
That's probably becaue it's so much easier to find singers to sing high that they need somebody, anybody to sing low. That's what happened to me. But the bass parts were really fun and always good for laugh later!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic