"A" Chord fingering

BigBear

Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:41 pm

AndyT wrote:
Thats obvious. She had you by the G string.
Good one! The thought of me in a G string is frightening!

You know, I should be practicing my guitar rather than posting to this forum!

Chasplaya

Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:01 am

Ok bringing it back to topic, I have a horrible picture in my head of a Grizzly in a Gstring ugh!!!

I have always played A like Neil , sometimes using a barre but rarely.

KennyF

Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:05 am

Chasplaya wrote:
Ok bringing it back to topic, I have a horrible picture in my head of a Grizzly in a Gstring ugh!!!
Damn Chas... Bad visual bro. Image Image Image

mmcg

Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:52 am

BigBear wrote:
AndyT wrote:
He is right. It does get easier. Just like eating your wifes cooking when you first get married.

I'm blessed with a gourmet chef for a wife. No wonder I'm fat.
The only thing my wife makes for dinner is reservations! She said I didn't marry her for her cooking. I'm still trying to figure out what I did marry her for!! LOL!
The door to a woman's heart is through the door of a good restaurant.

frybaby

Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:01 pm

To continue with chord fingering shapes questions, I am just wondering how to make the bar chord shape that is used to make the C chord on third fret. (Root on 5 the string).
Further attempt to discripbe this chord shape - This chord shape would be the A chord shape discussed above, the one with the ring finger flattened to play strings 2-3-4 in fret 2, only in this case moved up to the 5th fret and then using the index fingering to baring strings 1-5 in fret 3.
In making this chord shape so that all strings used in the shape (1-5) are sounded, the 1st string needs to run past the flattended ring fingre through to the G note (which is played on the on the 1 string 3 fret by the bar).

If played using the ring finger flattended so that it frets string 2-3 and 4 in the 5 th fret (which is what I have seen most players do), the nuckle for the ring finger would almost have to bend a right angle.
Can any body here do that? Is it even possible to not to dampen the the 1st string with the bent ring finger so that the 1st string run under the flattened index finger back to the barred note.

I know the G note on string using this shape is not absolutely requiere because it is already being played by the flattende ring finger on the 3rd string 5th fret. But having that G note (which is fifth tone of the C chord) sound can make a subtle differece.

If any body can figure out the question, then I ask are you able to do it? Make the chord with out muting the 1 string?

--------

auntlynnie

Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:19 pm

On a good day I can barre the C chord and make the 1st string ring. HOWEVER, I rarely ever use the A-shape barre C chord unless I'm playing electric guitar and then it's not necessary (or even beneficial) to play every note. When playing acoustic guitar I just play the regular first-position C chord shape.

To put it another way, if you need to let all the notes ring out on a C chord use the open, first-position chord.

BigBear

Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:08 pm

kennyf wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:
Damn Chas... Bad visual bro.
Hey, I resemble that remark!!

KennyF

Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:03 pm

BigBear wrote:
kennyf wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:
Damn Chas... Bad visual bro.
Hey, I resemble that remark!!
Image Image Image

willem

Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:04 am

I play the 1st position A chord that way as well, usually. (I bar it with my index if I want to play other notes with my ring and/or pinky finger.)

In addition to being easier to sound good b/c my fingers are closer to fret:

Index finger on 2nd string = anchor for D chord = quick change.
-- slide index back 1 fret = anchor for E chord.
Middle finger on 3rd string = anchor for Em and C chords.

And, at this point, it just feels more natural for smooth transitions.

I'm also now using the Middle-Ring-Pinky fingering of the 3-finger G chord, because it also seems better for fast transitions. That one took a while for me to get coordinated, I was so used to Index-middlle-ring fingering. I try to use the latter now only if I'm doing a 4-finger G, or if the transition to/from chord requires the other fingering (like a Gmaj7.)

My 2 cents... :)

samarks

Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:46 am

Most definitely. There are a lot of licks with the A chord that necessitate barring.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic