"A" Chord fingering

BigBear

Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:46 am

When thinking about chord formation and fingerings I think it makes a big difference whether you are a true fingerstyle guitarist like Neil or a strummer/rocker like many of us. A fingerstyle guitarist just doesn't always have the luxury of sloppy barre chords during quick transitions. They need to be more precise because every note is usually clear. If a strummer hits a clam so what? But a fingerstylist can't get away with it.

AndyT

Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:54 am

BigBear wrote:
When thinking about chord formation and fingerings I think it makes a big difference whether you are a true fingerstyle guitarist like Neil or a strummer/rocker like many of us. A fingerstyle guitarist just doesn't always have the luxury of sloppy barre chords during quick transitions. They need to be more precise because every note is usually clear. If a strummer hits a clam so what? But a fingerstylist can't get away with it.
As a fingerstylist myself I play a lot of pieces with quick barres/runs based on the "A" chord shape. Many of Robert Johnson's, Rev. Gary Davis', and Big Bill Broonzy's songs (to name but a few) feature "A" chord licks that require the use of barring to free up the other fingers.

It all boils down to what do you need to do. If you want to know if Neil ever barres an "A" chord just ask him how he plays songs like "Chicago" and "Hey Hey".

That's the beauty of guitar--there are different ways to do different things. So, one time you'll have to play an "A" chord with all three fingers, sometimes a barre. Sometimes you'll play an "F" chord with a full barre, sometimes you'll need to wrap your thumb around the top of the fingerboard to grab the bass note...etc..

KennyF

Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:01 am

gingold wrote:
BigBear wrote:

It all boils down to what do you need to do.
...and there ya have it. Image

TGNeil

Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:39 am

kennyf wrote:
gingold wrote:
BigBear wrote:

It all boils down to what do you need to do.
Mmmm, those beers look good--can I have one? :woohoo:

KennyF

Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:14 am

gingold wrote:
kennyf wrote:
gingold wrote:
BigBear wrote:

Mmmm, those beers look good--can I have one? :woohoo:
Absolutely! Image

AndyT

Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:16 pm

HA! While you guys are out getting drunk, I've been practicing. Here, listen...

... Cool huh? B)

Music Junkie

Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:40 pm

AndyT wrote:
I call that the 'triangle A' and there are a couple of good reasons for it.

If you have big fat fingers like me, it makes it easier to get them all closer to the fret. Also, the finger on the G string is an anchor finger or sticky finger. lift all fingers up except that one and you will see that it is already in position for a D chord. Slide it back 1 fret and its in position for an E chord. That one finger is used to guide your other fingers without needing to look at them.

Make sense?
Ditto.

I find it works great that way as an anchor as well. It took me a while to get used to it, but once I did it helped out quite a bit.

MJ

Music Junkie

Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:55 pm

frybaby wrote:
To continue with chord fingering shapes questions, I am just wondering how to make the bar chord shape that is used to make the C chord on third fret. (Root on 5 the string).
Further attempt to discripbe this chord shape - This chord shape would be the A chord shape discussed above, the one with the ring finger flattened to play strings 2-3-4 in fret 2, only in this case moved up to the 5th fret and then using the index fingering to baring strings 1-5 in fret 3.
In making this chord shape so that all strings used in the shape (1-5) are sounded, the 1st string needs to run past the flattended ring fingre through to the G note (which is played on the on the 1 string 3 fret by the bar).

If played using the ring finger flattended so that it frets string 2-3 and 4 in the 5 th fret (which is what I have seen most players do), the nuckle for the ring finger would almost have to bend a right angle.
Can any body here do that? Is it even possible to not to dampen the the 1st string with the bent ring finger so that the 1st string run under the flattened index finger back to the barred note.

I know the G note on string using this shape is not absolutely requiere because it is already being played by the flattende ring finger on the 3rd string 5th fret. But having that G note (which is fifth tone of the C chord) sound can make a subtle differece.

If any body can figure out the question, then I ask are you able to do it? Make the chord with out muting the 1 string?

--------
Cannot do that chord worth a darn! Which is why I CANNOT play the B Chord worth a crap without playing it as an F shape at the 7th fret. Playing the F shape at the 7th fret works, but it sometimes does not give the right sound (at least to me - depending on the song). It is one of the chords that I drive myself crazy on every time I practice. I figure if I keep trying, I will eventually get it right.

Somebody please tell me that I will eventually get it right..............

MJ

AndyT

Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:53 pm

I can play it, but not very well yet. Its a difficult shape. Try smashing you hand on some bricks a few thousand times and you should be sufficently mangled to do it.
Or better yet. replace all your fingers with rubber.

Music Junkie

Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:01 pm

Do you play it with your index and third or your index and pinky?????

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic