Visit at Neil's office

Lavallee

Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:30 am

For my vacation this year I decided to visit California. While being there, why not visit Neil at his office for a couple lessons? I am glad I did. Neil have been teaching for a long time and he can spot flaws in your method in no time. Because I can play reasonnably well some more advanced songs (classical gas per example), I thought I was above beginner's lessons. I need to back to them because I can now see the importance of placing your left hand fingers on the stings in the order they will be hit by the right hand. I was placing the whole chord at once. The difference is a crystal clear sound. I am struggling with songs like Tears in the Rain from Satriani where you have to cover 5 fret with the chord, placing one finger at the time makes it easier. Even with easier ones like Babe I'm gonna leave you I muffle some notes because I try put the whole chord at once. When Neil is playing it I can see the difference. His fingers are rolling in position rather than landing at once. If you are strumming, it will not make a big effect but for fingerpicking, it makes a world of difference. So I am going back to the House of the rising sun.

He also pointed out that I do not always keep my thumb on the base only and the 3 other fingers in the home position (first 3 strings) where they should stay (most of the time). The example was Romanza. I was using my thumb on the g string alternating with the base and using only the major and index for the b and e string. Using the thumb on the g string put way too much emphasis on the sound of that string while the melody on the e string gets muffled. You should hear Neil play it. It was quite different from my version (computer like, as he says).

If you cannot see Neil (if you have the opportunity to see him, I suggest you do), I think that the upcoming video section where you can show where you are, could be very helpfull as he will be able to see your technique.

Neil was very welcoming and his enthousiasm is not only on TG live.

Thanks Neil

Marc

BigBear

Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:57 pm

I haven't seen Neil in person since 1986. Is he still at the same location (Los Gatos Blvd. if memory serves..)?

He was also involved with something called the Los Gatos Guitar Gallery (I think). Annnnd, if I also remember correctly (which isn't always a given any more) he was also a lutist for the SF Symphony. I could be wrong on that last one but if Neil surfs this thread he'll hopefully set me straight.

Neil was always patient and professional with me--even though I was just a teen looking to copy Chicago blues and classic Rock riffs.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic