Largest Crowd

rcsnydley

Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:41 pm

I thought it might be nice to share some crowd size/performance stories. Here are some questions. Is bigger better? Indoor crowds or outdoor? Crowd size, what was the largest crowd you have performed in front of?

Now for my answers. I think bigger is always better and generally the bigger the better. I feed off of the energy from the crowd. Also, if you are going to get up and play in front of people it might as well be a lot of people.

I thought that I was going to answer outdoors, but I'm not always sure that is so. Sure if the weather is nice and there is a good crowd nothing beats it. But, I have played indoor auditorium style gigs that were high energy and lots of fun.

Back in the 80s the reggae band I was in started the Vermont Reggae Festival. By the 3rd year there were approx. 20,000 people attending. However, in years 4 & 5 there were between 30,000 and 40,000 people, so that is the largest crowd I've played in front of.

Keep Playing
Ric

BigBear

Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:30 am

I suspect that few of us have had the experience of playing in front of a large crowd. Maybe a high school dance or church congregation but rarely a big crowd there for the music.

You have a unique experience that most of us can only dream about!!

Lavallee

Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:37 am

Every now and then I play in front of one person but it feels like 10,000. My fingers loose all their flexibility :)

Marc

BigBear

Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:40 am

Lavallee wrote:
Every now and then I play in front of one person but it feels like 10,000. My fingers loose all their flexibility :)

ROFL!! Marc- that is soooo.. true! I'm right there with you buddy!! :lol:

Lavallee

Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:02 am

Went I visited Neil this week, I wanted to demonstrate where I was in my progression (not to show off but only outline my level). I could not play one thing without tripping here and there. Fortunately he was very diplomatic in his comments ;) .

That said, how do you developpe, that confidence that you lack and feel that you have to over do it in front of someone. It is like golfing, I am sure you heard many times by average players that it goes so well in the driving range, and you can't do squat on the course. The lack of confidence due to past experiences where you did not perform to the level "you expect to be" rather then where you are, increase your tension. There is also, like at the driving range, the fact that your target is not as clear as when you are on the course. When you practice guitar, if you miss, the pressure does not increase because to start over without fearing the judgement of the person you are playing for. But playing for someone, you want to look good

Marc

BigBear

Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:02 am

Lavallee wrote:
Went I visited Neil this week, I wanted to demonstrate where I was in my progression (not to show off but only outline my level). I could not play one thing without tripping here and there. Fortunately he was very diplomatic in his comments ;)
Marc- that's pretty cool getting to visit the Jedi Master himself in the flesh!! How far away from Neil do you live?

I think if you figure out the confidence thing you should bottle it or write a book or something and you'd be wealthy beyond imagination!!

Most people have a fear of public speaking. When I was in the Army we had to learn how to present lessons to others. You'd walk into class, they'd pick your name and tell you to get up and give a ten minute talk on any subject. No prep, no notes, nothing! It was terrifying at first because the whole class would critique and grade you on your presentation.

But over time it became second nature. I developed into a very good public speaker with no fear of speaking in front of a any group. I once had the opportunity to give a 45 minute talk to 5,000 people. And it didn't even phase me.

But to play the guitar in front of an audience? Absolutely terrifying! So my personal challenge is to become confident enough of my abilities on the guitar to be able to play (and sing) in front of a room full of strangers. I think it will take the same process as learning public speaking. Preparedness, practice and the realization that I will make some mistake and not to shut down when I do. I played in a jam session recently (4 guitars and about 30 people) and when I tried to do my own songs I froze. But as the night wore on I got a little better and the right hand finally decided to cooperate with the left. I can't wait for the next jam session!!

AndyT

Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:07 am

The most I have played in front of was maybe 300 at our church's water baptism. I was nervous, but there were enough of us so that my mistakes were covered up by the rest. When we hit songs I had no clue on, I would mute my strings and just play a percussion strum along with everyone else.

Lavallee

Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:20 am

Bear, I am from Montreal Canada, so I took a week of vacation in California and decided to visit Neil.

You are right to compare this with speaking in front of a crowd. The training you had to speak in front of people is like the Toastmasters. It is interesting because the friends I am with this weekend, one of them have been part of this for years. He presented it so well that I have to give it a shot now. A good start up for guitar is certainly, like Andy said, to be part of an ensemble where you have a minor role, to build up that confidence. Then move to low expectation crowd (visit a home per example where whatever you do will be appreciated, or play for free in a public place)like Chasplaya and Gingold had suggested before.

Marc

Guitarmom

Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:45 pm

I have had the privilege of singing before large audiences before we joined the headliner on tour. It is an invigorating feeling to feel the pulse of audience as it becomes one with you and you with them. There is a bond that NOTHING else can duplicate. Most of the venues we played were large auditoriums, arenas, 'theatre in the round' and outdoor amphitheatres like the Greek Theatre and Hollywood Bowl.

While the size of the venue can be exhilarating for some, you would be surprised at the number of professionals that are terrified by large crowds. On one tour the ‘dresser’ for one headliner would meet the musician stage left with a double shot of bourbon. The first few notes were tenuous, but when the energy of the crowd welcomed the performer …the resulting music soared lifting everyone present to incredible heights. Despite this individual’s huge international success, the scenario was the same each night.

Each time I stand before an audience or congregation, I get butterflies in my stomach until I start to sing or speak. I believe that it is that anticipatory nervousness that gives you the edge.

Joy,

Rev Kate

haoli25

Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:22 pm

Lavallee wrote:
Went I visited Neil this week, I wanted to demonstrate where I was in my progression (not to show off but only outline my level). I could not play one thing without tripping here and there. Fortunately he was very diplomatic in his comments ;) .

Marc

Marc, I would think that playing for Neil "The FRETinator" Hogan would be more intimidating than playing for a large crowd. A large audience just wants to be entertained and could care less about your right/left hand positions and chord formations. lol

I think you are ready for the BIG TIME now!

:laugh:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic