Largest Crowd

AndyT

Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:41 pm

Leave it to Chas to ask what kind of bowling... LOL

Good for you Wrench! Keep it up. Pretty soon your dog will be booking gigs for you. LOL

BigBear

Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:49 pm

haoli25 wrote:
Thanks for the post WRENCH.

After professional bowling, playing guitar should be a piece of cake for you. And the best part, you don't even have to change your shoes to play guitar!:)

I can't even imagine the thrill of bowling a perfect game!
I made it 9 frames and one strike before I choked!! I was so bummed out even though I was only about 130 pins over my average!! LOL!! That'd be like getting a hole in one and being mad because you shot 103!!!

Chasplaya

Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:51 pm

BigBear wrote:
haoli25 wrote:
Thanks for the post WRENCH.

I made it 9 frames and one strike before I choked!! I was so bummed out even though I was only about 130 pins over my average!! LOL!! That'd be like getting a hole in one and being mad because you shot 103!!!
We just had a newspaper headline on the sports pages about a guy in a local club competition that got three holes in one in one game and still didn't make the cut... Wouldn't that rip your shorts!!!

wrench

Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:32 pm

It was tenpin bowling.

Adrenaline rushes are great. But it's really great when you learn to use them to your advantage. I'm looking forward to a guitar induced adrenaline rush, but first I need to develop enough skill to get excited about.

Three holes in one and missed the cut? Ouch. That's the thing about adrenaline rushes - what goes up must and will come down.

wrench

cabro

Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:37 pm

BigBear wrote:
I'm so glad I'm not the only one with this "affliction". You work so hard in your living room to get it right that I'm terrified I'll choke when I play in front of any size crowd. It's like "Lord, give me the strength to get through these first few songs without looking like an idiot". :lol:
I'll even go one better than that. I have a standing "gig" every year in October at a camping gathering in Bardstown, Ky. I have all year to rehearse and hone whatever I'm going to play and every year, it's the same thing. At the fire pit on Friday night I try to gauge the mood of the crowd and wind up abandoning whatever plans I may have made to try to play to the crowd. Last year I started off with a couple of easy tunes like Lucky Man and Dead Skunk but the tension was still there and I still didn't loosen up until about four songs in. Saturday was different though. (Friday I was by myself) I let two other guys have all the glory and I played bass most of the night. :ohmy:

haoli25

Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:32 pm

cabro wrote:
Last year I started off with a couple of easy tunes like Lucky Man and Dead Skunk but the tension was still there and I still didn't loosen up until about four songs in. Saturday was different though. (Friday I was by myself) I let two other guys have all the glory and I played bass most of the night. :ohmy:

Great stuff Chris. You just can't go wrong with ELP and Loudin Wainwright III. :laugh:

eagle670

Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:12 am

Wow! Hard to believe that there are so many of us in the same boat. For me performance anxiety is something that developed later on in life. Maybe it's because as a kid you really don't fear much of anything and as an adult the outside pressures, especially in business, is to always be on top of your game. I played in a high school band as well and I don't remember ever having an actual fear of playing in front of anyone. I even had to sub as lead vocalist one time and I had never sang in front of anyone in life. It wasn't the best experience in the world, but it didn't kill me either. I have the opportunity to play with another band and I would love to be able to experience that again, but I know getting through the anxiety would be a tough challenge to overcome. Frankly it gets in the way and it really pisses me off. All you guy's that can play or speak in front of large groups hopefully understand how lucky you actually are. I admire you for it.

Kevin

haoli25

Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:20 am

Good post Kevin. I would like to hear Neil chime in on this one. I wonder if he has experienced anxiety during his live performance career and his methods to overcome it.

rcsnydley

Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:52 am

The performance anxiety never goes away. I have played in front of 30,000 - 40,000 people. It was awesome, a childhood dream come true, I was scared s___less. If asked to do it again I would say YES without a moments hesitation because, there is nothing like it in the world. Then as the show approached I would ask myself why I had put myself in such a situation. When the show was over I would be so high you have to tie a rope to my ankle to keep me from floating away.

No, it never goes away, but you can learn to manage it. Realize that people are there to see yo, they want you to do well. I know this may sound kind of, well not right maybe, but I tell myself I am doing something they can't so I deserve to be up here. So, even though I feel like they are all waiting to pass judgment on me I will show them what I can do.

Also, the more you play the easier it gets because you start to gain some confidence.
So, get out there and take a chance, get on stage, you may find you like it.

Break a leg
Ric

eagle670

Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:12 am

Thanks RC! Oh I know all too well the high's of a good performance. Whether it is a presentation, a speach, sporting event or in a band. That feeling is a high that is not acheived very often and you look for any avenue you can to get it again. Just like with my daughter I am really pushing her to elivate her tennis skills, so that she can experience the "high". Right now she thinks that I am just pushing her, but I tell her that once she experiences the thrill, then she will understand. Most performers do experience some type of anxiety, but there are really two kinds, one being the nervous energy kind, which you need to have to put on a great show and then there is the other kind which is downright terrifying. I don't mean to sound like a p--s but this to a point can criple an individual from realizing their potential. I am a very out going person and to experiece this just seems so foreign to me.

Kevin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic