Largest Crowd

rcsnydley

Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:20 am

eagle670 wrote:
I don't mean to sound like a p--s but this to a point can criple an individual from realizing their potential. I am a very out going person and to experiece this just seems so foreign to me.

Kevin
Maybe that is your problem, being out going. I am not an out going person, in fact my wife wonders how I can get on stage and give speeches (I am a very good public speaker) and play music. I tell her it is different from talking with people one-on-one. When I'm on stage it is all about me, hey maybe I'm self centered, maybe that's the secret.

I still get scared, but the high is worth it.

Ric

cabro

Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:19 am

eagle670 wrote:
...but this to a point can criple an individual from realizing their potential.
Kevin
I understand this to a point. I was a big fish in a small pond some years back and after about a year out of the limelight, my new band had booked our debut show at a very intimate venue. Due to the reputation of some of the players in this outfit, there were great expectations at the show and though the venue was small, the place was packed. It was the worst case of performance anxiety I personally have ever experienced. Many in the house were friends and musicians and I was scared nearly to the point of debilitation. My solution was to go upstage as far as possible and all but turn my back on the audience. I spent over half of the set playing to the rest of the band, much like a rehearsal, making eye contact with band members during a song and only facing the audience between numbers. Even after we had affirmed crowd approval and it was assumed we were going to be okay, I still had trouble playing to the audience till nearly the end of the set. I realize it was kind of rude but I felt it was the only way I could get through the set.

Chris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic