How did you get in a band?

KennyF

Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:13 pm

Go to jams, open mic nights, parties where there's people sitting around playing, etc. I got invited to a jam one time and ended up forming a band out of it. You never know.

It is good to have a realistic assessment of your playing level before venturing out. Not to puff myself up, but I've been to many jams where I was with a bunch of beginners who didn't know they were beginners. So, like tennis, it is more fun to play with someone close to your level.

agentcooper

Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:05 am

Lavallee wrote:
Dale from a previous thread you mention that you played piano so you were familiar with music. Have you played with people that did not know much of music theory? if so how did it worked out?

Marc
Yeah, it's completely fine... If they're drummers. Haha.

It really depends on how creative and intuitive the musicians are, and you can usually tell by their confidence, which is displayed on their face as soon as you say, so do you wanna jam on this one? And if I call out a chord change, and whatever they play keeps working, I don't notice/care whether or not they know theory. Especially now, since the theory side of my brain has been put on the backburner, while the performance side has taken over. Blah.

-Dale

BigBear

Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:12 pm

Alos depends on what kind of music you're playing. A simple I IV V blues shuffle is a lot easier for someone to grasp then some abstract jazz piece known only to you and the musicians who recorded it. Like I said in my previous post (see above) find a common level with the other musicians. It's no fun to be an advanced player with a bunch of beginners, and it's intimidating to be a beginner with a bunch of advanced players.

BigBear

Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:21 pm

gingold wrote:
It's no fun to be an advanced player with a bunch of beginners, and it's intimidating to be a beginner with a bunch of advanced players.
That is so true!!! It's the difference between having fun and wasting time.

Lavallee

Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:05 pm

So it is not easy to be a beginner. If you play with beginners, you get nowhere and if you play with advanced players you get nowhere.:unsure:

Marc

BigBear

Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:59 pm

Lavallee wrote:
So it is not easy to be a beginner. If you play with beginners, you get nowhere and if you play with advanced players you get nowhere.
Marc- I fully understand your sentiment. I think beginners need to get to certain level before they play with others. If a beginner can't play all or most of the open chords and play in time they aren't ready to jam. But by the time they reach intermedeiate status, at least the way Neil defines it, they are more than ready to start.

I think the single hardest thing to do as a living room guitarist is keep good time, especially during the stress of jamming. A metronome is very helpful but it isn't the same. The first time I played with a drummer I almost went into cardiac arrest. I knew he was probably keeping good time but I was always behind and I mean always! I have since learned that if you want to keep good time, fire the drummer! LOL! (see my drummer jokes under Off-Topic).

BUt most intermediates should be able to play together. Find a couple of good songs you play well and be prepared to share. It helps if they are easy (you'll have plenty of time for harder stuff later). And for Gosh sake learn when to quit playing and just listen! The worst jam partner is someone who doesn't know a song and wants to just wail away and hope he hits something in the same key!

Maybe we need a thread on Jamming Etiquette or Playing With Others So That They Don't Throw Your Lousy Butt Out Along WIth Your Guitar!!! :lol:

haoli25

Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:20 pm

BigBear wrote:
The worst jam partner is someone who doesn't know a song and wants to just wail away and hope he hits something in the same key!

Maybe we need a thread on Jamming Etiquette or Playing With Others So That They Don't Throw Your Lousy Butt Out Along WIth Your Guitar!!! :lol:

That is sooooooo true....and I think they scratched my guitar too when they threw me out. :silly:

Lavallee

Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:22 pm

Bear, I think you mentionned the keyword : metronome. Even though Neil repeats it in every lessons and many of the forummies as well, I keep overlooking it. I will use it from now on and be ready for the drummer ;)

Marc

BigBear

Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:37 am

Lavallee wrote:
Bear, I think you mentionned the keyword : metronome. Even though Neil repeats it in every lessons and many of the forummies as well, I keep overlooking it. I will use it from now on and be ready for the drummer ;)

Marc
I'm trying to convince Neil to actually post the tempo for us metronome users. He says he mentions it in all the song studies but I'd like to see it more prominent!

cabro

Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:16 am

Lavallee wrote:

Marc
Marc,

Using a metronome most certainly will not get you ready for the drummer. As I've overheard and said myself on any number of occasions "So many drummers. So little time." What a metronome will do is teach you how to keep time when all else around you starts to go south.

As for getting into a band, I've been in several over the course of of about 16 years but I just kind of fell into the gigs usually. Somebody knew of a band that needed somebody or word through the local music community that somebody was trying to put together a band... It's hard sometimes to find the right group of people at your skill level. I have been on both sides of the intimidation coin and have to say I prefer to jam with people a little less skilled than I for comfort. Having said that, playing with people a little better than you gives the opportunity to learn.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic