How did you get in a band?

eagle670

Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:35 am

Had a reality check last week when I played a little with a couple of guy's from work. They had been wanting me to play with them for quite a while and I had been practicing like a mad man for several weeks. Something happen when I sat down to play, because it was like I had never picked up a guitar before. could'nt remember songs, fingers didn't want to cooperate and stumming was terrible. I guess the nerves got to me. I was in a band in high school, way back when, and I don't remember nerves being an issue at all. Kind of suprised me that I was that hyped up. The guy's did'nt say anything, but I felt pretty dejected. They knew that I was bascially relearning the guitar and I found out that I am really behind on my music theory basics. Anyway back to basement.

Later

BigBear

Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:40 pm

eagle670 wrote:
could'nt remember songs, fingers didn't want to cooperate and stumming was terrible. I guess the nerves got to me.
I had that exact experience recently when I started playing with other people again after a very long lay-off. There was four or five guitarists and one was clearly good, really good. Man, I could have been playing a trombone for all the good I did. Timing off, couldn't remember s..t, tried to sing; OMG!! remaind me not to try that again!!

But after a couple of hours a strange metamorphosis took place and I started to get my "guiatr legs" underneath me. Some of my hard won ability started to reappear and by the end of the night I was no longer embarrased. I'll tell you what broke the ice was my playing Neil's version of Hotel California at the 7th fret. This was his original version not the full song study he just launched! It sounded pretty good and I started getting a little street cred back.

So my point is, don't worry about it buddy, it happens to everyone!! I think the guitar and nerves are the same word, just spelled differently!! :lol:

BigBear

Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:44 pm

cabro wrote:
Using a metronome most certainly will not get you ready for the drummer. As I've overheard and said myself on any number of occasions "So many drummers. So little time." What a metronome will do is teach you how to keep time when all else around you starts to go south.
Chris- That is so true and was the point I was trying to make. A metronome is to keep time and a drummer is to.... well, I'll think of a use for the drummer in a minute!! ROFL!! :lol:

songman52

Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:52 am

Aside from playing in church, I had always wanted to be part of a band. On a local website similar to craigslist, two guys were looking for a singer to join them and just jam in the living room. Somewhat scared, I finally answered the ad (at my wife's urging). She said, "What the heck? If they don't like you, so what? You don't even know them." I didn't even take a guitar that first time.
Long story short, four years later we have five guys and a real band! Love it, occasionally play for food and sometimes money when we're lucky.
So, as others here have said, check postings at work, keep your eyes and ears open, check local websites, visit open mic nights just to listen, and HAVE FUN!

Or go to Bear's house, I'll bet he's a blast to jam with.

So true, Cabro, playing with others who are ahead of you can improve your own playing, as long as they aren't too far out of your league or not willing to help you.

Chasplaya

Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:47 am

Hey everyone Jam at Bears place this weekend in stead of the live TG show, be hter or be square

Chasplaya

Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:48 am

Chasplaya wrote:
Hey everyone Jam at Bears place this weekend in stead of the live TG show, be there or be square
Sorry i'm gonna be square didn't win lotto duh!

Lavallee

Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:41 am

I will start looking in adds to find some players. I have a co-worker at the office , who plays and sing, but we are both very busy during the week and we cannot find enough time. But while it last (not totally finish yet) , it was really fun to get some timing. When you know the song, and you have a voice ( and a very nice voice she has) to guide you, following the rhythm seems fairly natural. Now that I have tasted it somewhat, I really want to play more often with other payers, I can feel the addiction

Marc

eagle670

Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:39 am

I was kind of tricked into joining a band in high school. A good friend of mine played drums in the band (R.I.P.) and one day he called me saying that the bass player had quit and knew that I had a bass, I think it came with the amp, anyway he ask me to come play with them. I think I knew 2 songs on the bass guitar, anyway when I got there we played one song and then I found out that the lead singer had actually quit as well and they ask me to fill in. Played one gig as the lead singer and found out real quick that wasn't my cup of tea. Ended up playing rythmn guitar for them and stayed away from the mic for a long time. Still bearing the scars 35 years later. Live and learn my friends!

Kevin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic