How did you get in a band?

Lavallee

Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:24 pm

From those who have been in a band or a musical group of some sort, It would be interesting to know how you managed to do that. Once you have done it, the question sounds trivial. However for all of us who have not had a chance to experience that, it is is a big step.

So it would be interesting to hear the comments from all of you who had a chance to try to play at different levels (professionnal, school, church, bunch of friends, in the subway, etc...).

Marc

agentcooper

Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:46 pm

I've always had musician friends, and been writing songs since I've been a wee lad, so through this, I've never felt sane unless I was in a band, or at least playing. My first band was when I was 13 and I've been starting and stopping bands ever since. It's the best feeling ever to be on stage and having a decent amount of people saying "Wow, I'm glad they don't suck".

Truth.

-Dale

Lavallee

Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:52 pm

Dale from a previous thread you mention that you played piano so you were familiar with music. Have you played with people that did not know much of music theory? if so how did it worked out?

Marc

haoli25

Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:53 pm

I got a free ticket into a band. It was soooooo
easy.
I wasn't that talented at 15, BUT I had two guitars
and two amps and my mother owned a VAN. FREE TICKET!!
:laugh:

BigBear

Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:58 am

Lavallee wrote:
From those who have been in a band or a musical group of some sort, It would be interesting to know how you managed to do that. Once you have done it, the question sounds trivial. However for all of us who have not had a chance to experience that, it is is a big step.

So it would be interesting to hear the comments from all of you who had a chance to try to play at different levels (professionnal, school, church, bunch of friends, in the subway, etc...).

Marc
That's a great question! Or even how do find people to jam with? If you aren't around musicians and particularly if you are an old fart like me it's tough to find people to play with. You hate to put an ad on Craigslist, you'll never know what you'll get. :lol:

haoli25

Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:22 am

Nope, BEAR, I think I would avoid Craigslist, etc.

Any local musicians billboards or websites that
you can try?

BigBear

Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:28 am

haoli25 wrote:

you can try?
There are quite a few guys at work that play. I don't know them but I need to push that connection a little more. I am a very outgoing person (big shock, huh?) except for music where I am very reserved. I just have to get over it.

AndyT

Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:55 am

Another option is to go to your local church and ask the Pastor to make an announcement. "Anyone that plays looking for a get together and jam night, please sign up here." and give him a sign up sheet with the basic info. You could wind up with 10 or 15 people on the list depending on the size of the church, or have the announcement made in a few different churches in your area.

Chasplaya

Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:58 am

BigBear wrote:
haoli25 wrote:

you can try?
There are quite a few guys at work that play. I don't know them but I need to push that connection a little more. I am a very outgoing person (big shock, huh?) except for music where I am very reserved. I just have to get over it.
DO what I did advertise a Guitar club at work and then let it just happen. I also join in with other guys at work for jam sessions now and then and through this we are putting on a show in the town I live in, in the town square in a couple of months scary !!!

rcsnydley

Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:47 am

Building a small recording studio in your basement doesn't hurt either. When I was 19 and first arrived in Vermont I meet some one who didn't play but knew two people who did. That got things started and eventually the three of us built a small studio in my basement to have a place to play and record.

Soon a lot of the local musicians where coming over to jam and record demos. As I was the sound engineer I eventually got asked to do sound for one of the bands. I also played keyboards during the jams and eventually moved from sound to keyboards. That was a professional band as we toured and produced records.

I also played with a couple of other part-time bands which is great for experience and just having a good time.

Keep Playing
Ric

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic