Funny, Strange, Interesting Performing Stories

Chasplaya

Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:37 pm

Those of you who have performed in public likely have some amusing and interesting stories. The idea for this thread came from Wrench (credit where credit is due). Here's one of mine:

I was performing solo at an annual community day on a stage about 2 or 3 feet off the ground. I was sitting in a folding chair and didn't realize how close my chair was getting to the back of the stage. One time, after shifting in my chair, I leaned back to begin a song when the chair's back legs fell off the stage. Even in that instant my only thought was "save the guitar!" I was playing a Martin D35 then and I remember holding it up with one hand as I fell into the unknown.

Happy to say that the only thing injured was my ego. I did make a silly joke about it (something like, "I'm really falling for you", or, "I've only had one beer")

OK TGers own up and share it!!!

haoli25

Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:32 am

Some years ago I was at a cocktail party in Las Vegas (broadcasters convention). During the course of the event, I was introduced to a lady named, Ayn Robbins. I was told that Ms. Robbins was a very famous songwriter. She in fact had co-written the lyrics for the Bill Conti tune, "Gonna Fly Now" from the first "ROCKY" movie. Needless to say, I was duly impressed.
Over the next several days I was racking my brain trying to remember what those lyrics may have been. I certainly remembered the tune to the Bill Conti song and (sad to say) I did see the first "ROCKY" movie, but the lyrics were just a blur.
When I returned home from the convention I went to one of our stations and found the Bill Conti album. (Yes, I said ALBUM)

These are the lyrics to "Gonna Fly Now";

Trying hard now
it's so hard now
trying hard now

Getting strong now
won't be long now
getting strong now

Gonna fly now
flying high now
gonna fly, fly, fly...

Famous songwriter???? What is she a third grader??? Those must be the lamest lyrics of all time. Since Ayn Robbins was a co-writer, that means it took TWO of them to write that!

Wherever Ayn Robbins is today, I wish her well. What a great songwriting legacy to leave behind. :laugh:

Chasplaya

Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:45 am

Well famous enough to have a wiki about her even if it is only 3 lines lol:

Ayn Robbins is a lyricist. She is best known for co-writing with Carol Connors the lyrics for two Academy Award and Grammy nominated songs, "Gonna Fly Now" from Rocky (1976; music by Bill Conti) and "Someone's Waiting for You" from The Rescuers (1977; music by Sammy Fain).

Chasplaya

Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:56 am

I got asked to play after dinner at a work function, unfortunatley the dinner went on and on and a few toasts were made subsequently I had one or two red wines too many and I took about three attempts to play a Shadows version of Evita man was that embarrassing.

BigBear

Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:21 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
I got asked to play after dinner at a work function, unfortunatley the dinner went on and on and a few toasts were made subsequently I had one or two red wines too many and I took about three attempts to play a Shadows version of Evita man was that embarrassing.
Where was Hank when you needed him!!!:lol:

Chasplaya

Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:18 pm

BigBear wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:
Where was Hank when you needed him!!!:lol:
If anything I was fortunate that the other guests also had one or two red wines too many so i'm hoping they didn't really notice .... yeah right!!! I gave Hank the night off...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic