Singing Lessons

cabro

Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:03 pm

Ric, I believe the original question was would singing lessons help you to be able to sing and play at the same time. My guess is .... maybe. There are some songs that I just can't sing along with while I play. When I play bass, it's even worse. There are very few songs that I can sing while I play. I think there's a certain dichotomy involved. I shake my head every time I see Geddy Lee. I've seen him live, play the bass with one hand, keys with the other, keyboard foot pedals with one foot, and sing all at once. I do well to play rhythm guitar and sing at times. Sometimes these blocks can be overcome. It seems to be a matter of putting either the voice or guitar on autopilot while concentrating on the other. At least that's the way it has worked for me.

Music Junkie

Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:49 pm

cabro wrote:
When I play bass, it's even worse.
My friend is in a band, and we go watch them every once in a while. The lead singer also plays bass and the entire band admits that they think it is very hard to play bass and sing. I don't know much about bass, so i couldn't tell you. You point about parts being on autopilot is a good one though. I try do as Neil suggested and just play a chord progression or perform a certain fingerpicking patterns while the TV is on and just keep doing it until it kind of disappears in the back of my mind. Once you get the muscle memory down, then you can concentrate on the singing part. Sure gives you a whole new perspective on those that are accomplished at playing and singing at the same time. Lots of work went into it, you can tell.

:)

rcsnydley

Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:43 pm

AndyT wrote:
Well Ric, since it was your idea... you write the grant and put me first on the list for lessons.
Perhaps the TotallyGuitars Philanthropic Society could put up the funds for this much needed research.

Ric

AndyT

Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:12 pm

Shoots! Be lidat Neil! Brokem out! Sign me up!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic