Singing Lessons

rcsnydley

Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:41 pm

Has anyone here ever taken singing lessons? If so, what did you learn and how did it help you? It seems that a pretty fair amount of members have a least some degree of difficulty signing and play together, would or could lessons be beneficial in that instance?

Any singing lessons experiences would be great to hear about. Thanks!

Ric

BigBear

Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:31 pm

rcsnydley wrote:
Has anyone here ever taken singing lessons? If so, what did you learn and how did it help you? It seems that a pretty fair amount of members have a least some degree of difficulty signing and play together, would or could lessons be beneficial in that instance?

Any singing lessons experiences would be great to hear about. Thanks!

Ric

Ric- Believe it or not this big ol' woolly bear took singing lessons a few years ago. It was great but I was scared to death! My goal was to hit the high C (I think) at the end of Nights in White Satin (...and I love you, yes I love you...).

Singing and playing a guitar are pretty different experiences. This teacher was really good and had a beautitful voice. She could tell I was scared and we worked alot on relaxation exercises. Getting the shoulders loose, then the throat. Also, good posture. No sitting down!! And no throat singing. Only sing from the diaphram!

Then we did a lot of work on the piano going up and down scales hitting every note. Then we did every other note, then every third note up and down. I had a tendency to slide into the note rather than just "go get it".

At first, I couldn't get to the note in NWS. But after a couple of weeks I got to it and then a little above it. I can still hit it now but I have to be relaxed and not scared. Otherwise it sounds very strained.

I would highly recommend taking singing lessons. I learned more in those few months than I could believe. I was in the process of losing my business so I had to quit but I've often thought about starting up again. Very worthwhile.

A side thought. Singing could be taught using video lessons like TARGET except it's hard to know if you've actually hit the right note. Since the guitar is tuned to A440 we know that a C note is actually a C note whether the teacher is in the same room or not. But not so with the human voice. My teacher always recorded our sessions and my homework was to listen to the tapes. Now that was ugly!!! LOL!

Good question Ric! :cheer:

AndyT

Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:20 pm

I think the main thing a guitar player should learn right off is voice scales. If you can hit the note with your voice, then you have to know it. Knowing the note helps you a great deal with your guitar playing. Voice scales will improve your playing ability.

AndyT

Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:21 pm

Bear,
Growling and screeching huh? I'd bea scared to listen to it too! :laugh:

BigBear

Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:35 am

AndyT wrote:
Bear,
Growling and screeching huh? I'd bea scared to listen to it too! :laugh:

Not a good visual is it? Or should I say audio? :lol:

haoli25

Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:56 am

BigBear wrote:
Since the guitar is tuned to A 440...... :cheer:

Actually Rick, the frequency of the 5th string A is 110 Hz. Tuners use the 4th harmonic (440 Hz) of the 5th String A for stability. The other strings are referenced to the 440 Hz inside the chromatic tuner using a 'divide by' network.

BigBear

Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:06 am

haoli25 wrote:
BigBear wrote:
Since the guitar is tuned to A 440...... :cheer:

Actually Rick, the frequency of the 5th string A is 110 Hz. Tuners use the 4th harmonic (440 Hz) of the 5th String A for stability. The other strings are referenced to the 440 Hz inside the chromatic tuner using a 'divide by' network.

Well, I got the "Actually Rick..." part. Everything after that made no sense! LOL! Remember, I'm a dirt and concrete engineer! If I can't touch it, I don't get it! I'm sure it was some sort of algorithm! :lol:

AndyT

Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:11 am

The string's actual frequency is 110 hertz. But it is easier to multiply it by 4 and read that. So tuners actually check by scanning at 4 times the actual frequency. Got it?

haoli25

Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:17 am

Here Rick, I have a TAB. :laugh: Image

AndyT

Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:23 am

:laugh: :woohoo:
I love all the tabs.... !!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic