Singing Lessons

neverfoundthetime

Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:27 pm

bringing the thread back onto topic..... for a change.....
Can't remember having singing lessons, I just loved to sing as kid more than anything else. My sister would sing in her sleep. Now that puts ice down your spine in the dead of night when a full-blown opera style burst of song rips through the dark and stops just as suddenly as it started!
I think everyone can sing.... if you find a way to fit your voice to the song you want to play. Transposing or capoing around so that you can get the melody into your singable range helps. And changing the style to fit your voice is also an idea. Most of all, it's singing every day that will open up your voice. Sometimes I get to play and sing with friends who have their own bands. After 3 days of practice and evening performances your voice can do so much more and you get into it a let go more, like Bear on Nights in White Satin. I used to hit that well when I was in my 20's. Now I put a capo at 4th fret and play in Am... it's much more comfortable that way!
Singing in a microphone is very different. Sometimes it's much easier but it's so important feel confident with a mike as it amplifies the stress or nervousness in your voice much more than those sweet tones! Play around with a mike if you can... and use headphones! it'll make you and the neighbours more comfortable!
My daughter has been taking lessons, I go along to see if I can learn something... maybe I'll sign up myself one day... if I find the time....

AndyT

Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:34 pm

For some people the only time they should sing is in church when there are enough voices to drown them out, or at a rock concert. I disagree. I do not think anyone can sing.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:37 pm

not to split hairs Andy but I said "anyone can sing... if..."
Where there's a will there's a way brother :-)

AndyT

Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:51 pm

If is a really big word you know. And IF then Ok, I'll go that far.

Chasplaya

Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:26 pm

AndyT wrote:
I disagree. I do not think anyone can sing.
Hey I can sing just that nobody listens cos they all seem to need to suddenly get fit and run !!

AndyT

Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:31 pm

Chas, you and I are blessed with voices that inspire!

haoli25

Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:46 pm

I can't sing and I have references to prove it!:laugh:

rcsnydley

Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:29 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
not to split hairs Andy but I said "anyone can sing... if..."
Where there's a will there's a way brother :-)
I agree "everyone can sing if", yes, everyone can sing it doesn't mean they can sing good.

It would be interesting to take a group of people with what is considered not pleasing singing voices and give them a month of training and then see what you have.

I think you would probably find they had improved to some degree and some more than others.

Who wants to front the money for this scientific experiment,remember it is for the betterment of music and humankind.

Ric

AndyT

Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:06 pm

Well Ric, since it was your idea... you write the grant and put me first on the list for lessons.

Chasplaya

Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:13 pm

AndyT wrote:
Well Ric, since it was your idea... you write the grant and put me first on the list for lessons.
Me too, me too (in a high falsetto)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic