Song Writing Technique Questions

rcsnydley

Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:38 pm

In the last TG Live there were a couple of questions on how to write songs, chord progressions, melody, rhythm & even lyrics.

I would like to see this category used to ask questions pertaining to writing songs. As a song writer I would be happy to share any knowledge I may posses. If anyone would like to tackle a specific aspect of the above mentioned song components, please, do so.

So, let's get started, first question?

Ric

Music Junkie

Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:39 am

rcsnydley wrote:
In the last TG Live there were a couple of questions on how to write songs, chord progressions, melody, rhythm & even lyrics.

I would like to see this category used to ask questions pertaining to writing songs. As a song writer I would be happy to share any knowledge I may posses. If anyone would like to tackle a specific aspect of the above mentioned song components, please, do so.

Ric
O.K. Ric:

I know that there is no "Right" way to write a song (as far as what order - lyrics / melody / chords). That being said, I am interested to know if you have a preference for when YOU write a song. Do you go for melody, chords or lyrics first? I have a tendency to mess with chord progressions first, but I never seem to be able to come up with lyrics. Also, I am so lacking in scale knowledge that trying to figure out a melody is very difficult for me.

Love to hear your thoughts.....

:unsure:

rcsnydley

Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:12 am

Music Junkie wrote:
rcsnydley wrote:

Ric
O.K. Ric:

I know that there is no "Right" way to write a song (as far as what order - lyrics / melody / chords). That being said, I am interested to know if you have a preference for when YOU write a song. Do you go for melody, chords or lyrics first? I have a tendency to mess with chord progressions first, but I never seem to be able to come up with lyrics. Also, I am so lacking in scale knowledge that trying to figure out a melody is very difficult for me.

Love to hear your thoughts.....

:unsure:
MJ - I start with a chord progression that strikes me, it doesn't have to be that long or complicated or even the whole song. Next I start singing anything that comes to mind, this helps come up with a melody and can sometimes come up with some starting lyrics or perhaps suggest a theme.

I used to try to stay within the chords of a key but found that limiting, so now what I do is just let the melody go where it wants. The chords, if not from the key, are usually from the parallel key (minor if song in major of visa-versa) or related keys. This is where learning some theory has really helped out as it allows me to find the chords for my melody rather than fitting my melody to chords.

The whole time I am coming up with the chords and melody I am singing lyrics to them. If I find a phrase or theme I like I will constantly repeat it and try to add to it. I keep an notepad handy to jot down ideas.

This how I do most of my writing. Let me know if you need any more info on my process.

Ric

rcsnydley

Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:16 am

Here is a free series of songwriting articles that you may find beneficial.

http://tomhess.net/Articles/SongwritingPart1.aspx

Ric

Music Junkie

Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:04 pm

Thanks Ric! Last night in private lessons we talked about some different ways to write songs. We talked about picking a song by your favorite artist and then breaking it down to see how it was constructed. From there, build your own on the same principles (you know, same progressions, but maybe in a different key and a different strumming pattern - maybe keeping the same timing and maybe the same number of bars to begin with). Not totally original, but very helpful to get a feeling for what goes together and what is pleasing to your ear. I would assume that once you got a feeling for what you like and what works, it would open up a bunch of new doors for you. I am currently working on breaking down "I Love You" by Climax Blues Band. I am going to record my own version of their chord progression and then just start messing around with some scales to see what I can come up with. Kind of tricky though, as they change scales right in the middle of their solos (so I guess I'd better get working on my scales)....

Thanks again,

MJ

:)

ffsooo3

Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:09 pm

MJ: Regarding having a hard time coming up with lyrics: I've often toyed with the idea of taking ANY EXISITING song I like and making up my own lyrics to the existing melody and chord progression. Mind you, I've never done it, but I always thought that that would be a good way to develop writing lyrics....

Chasplaya

Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:19 pm

ffsooo3 wrote:
MJ: Regarding having a hard time coming up with lyrics: I've often toyed with the idea of taking ANY EXISITING song I like and making up my own lyrics to the existing melody and chord progression. Mind you, I've never done it, but I always thought that that would be a good way to develop writing lyrics....
HI I have done that on occassions, its not as easy as it sounds. But one of 'my songs' is being performed live for the first time at a free gig we are putting on for the town in Novemeber. I wrote lyrics to 'Who'll Stop The Rain' and changed them to fit the theme of the day we are playing on. The days national theme is about curbing Domestic/Family Violence and my song is entitled 'Who'll Stop The Pain'.

ffsooo3

Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:39 pm

Chasplaya: I agree, the idea of creating new lyrics to an existing song would not be a "simple matter". Granted some songs may lend themselves more easily than others. Your "Who'll Stop the Rain/Pain" sounds like a perfect song for what you're doing. Care to share your lyrics?

Chasplaya

Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:48 pm

ffsooo3 wrote:
Chasplaya: I agree, the idea of creating new lyrics to an existing song would not be a "simple matter". Granted some songs may lend themselves more easily than others. Your "Who'll Stop the Rain/Pain" sounds like a perfect song for what you're doing. Care to share your lyrics?
Here they are, one of the 'catch phrases used on TV is 'Its Not Ok!' so I had to get that into the song. The format (Word conversion) might be a bit all over the place but you get the idea, I hope !! The song concept is ... The way it has been, the consequence of that and a look to the future

Verse

G C G
1. Long as I remember pain's been raining down
G C G
Shrouds of hates been pourin' Our women on the ground
C G
Good men through the ages
C G
Believed they knew the way
C D
and we wonder, still we wonder
Em G
who'll stop the pain

G C G
2. I was taken down the Courthouse, I was told I’d done her wrong
G Bm C G
I hoped that I was able, to turn my life around

C G
I changed my plans, With new ideals
C G
I wrapped her in My arms
C D
It’s not ok, it’s not ok
Em G
I can stop the pain

Instumental break: (approx.strum)

G C G
3.We heard the people saying, What was done was wrong
G Em C G
the people spoke out louder Saying, Look it’s not ok

C G
Now it’s love that’s spreading
C G
Spreading all around
C D
It’s no wonder, It’s no wonder
Em
We’ll stop the pain...

G Em
(repeat intro pattern until fadeout)

rcsnydley

Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:05 pm

Nice rework of the lyrics Chas and for a great cause. My wife is a domestic abuse survivor from her previous marriage, so good for you guys.

Ric

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic