Song Writing Technique Questions

Chasplaya

Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:13 pm

rcsnydley wrote:
Nice rework of the lyrics Chas and for a great cause. My wife is a domestic abuse survivor from her previous marriage, so good for you guys.

Ric
The day in NZ is called White Ribbon day, each year a festival of sorts is put on in the town square, it usually attracts a large crowd in the thousands at various times throughout the day; last year the local High School rock band challenged us (The Police) to do a set. So we got a bunch of us together and are doing a few numbers some suited to the occasion and some just cos we can lol. It started as three songs , we are now up to at least 6. Set includes: my song, Luka by Suzanne Vegas, Father and Son, Peaceful Easy Feeling, Horse WIth No Name, plus maybe Folsom Prison Blues and All Along the Watchtower. We are not a regular band just a bunch of guys who enjoy playing, we start rehearsing next month and who knows what might come out of it. Our line up will include Drummer, Bass, Keyboards, two vocalists, and up to 4 Guitars, I drew the short straw for some of the lead and the fingerpicking parts. 3 of the band have gigged before so we are relying on them to carry us through lol.

Music Junkie

Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:42 pm

ffsooo3 wrote:
MJ: Regarding having a hard time coming up with lyrics: I've often toyed with the idea of taking ANY EXISITING song I like and making up my own lyrics to the existing melody and chord progression. Mind you, I've never done it, but I always thought that that would be a good way to develop writing lyrics....
Not a bad idea. I used to do that for fun as a teenager and young adult. Mostly just funny lyrics though. Maybe I should try it with real lyrics this time....lol

Thanks for the advice.

:)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic