Song suggestion to jam with my sons

Lavallee

Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:28 pm

Hi all, was not sure where to make that request. My 16 year old twins have been taking lessons for 2 years now. We would like to work on a song that the 3 of us could play together. One of them plays bass, my other son and myself are on guitars. They like Iron Maiden, Dream Theater kind of stuff and I like what is on this site and similar (Zeppelin (migth be difficult with 2 guitars), the Hollies, The Rolling Stones and the like).

So I was hoping to have some suggestions of songs that would could agree on (some kind of compromise as the first one will be more difficult to agree on until we have some kind of success). We need to find something at least at first that will be a little slower than the stuff they are working on and where we could concentrate on rhythm and synchronize the playing

So any suggestions you guys migth have would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Marc

BigBear

Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:25 pm

Marc- you've got three great ones built in right here! How about:

1. Nothing Else Matters- Metallica

2. Smells Like Teen Spirit- Nirvana

3. Purple Haze or even Hey Joe- by Hendrix

All kids nowadays should know of Metallica and Nirvana. And if they don't know about Jimi Hendrix they should. In some states it's against the law to play the guitar and not know any Jimi Hendrix! I forget which ones at the moment! LOL!

All these songs are slow enough to allow some good jamming!

Have fun and good luck! Do us TARGET Old-Timers proud!!

Cheers! :cheer:

Lavallee

Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:24 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Bear , I did not think about Nothing else matters because I play the accoustic part and did not see anything else in there, but there are 2 guitar players and a bass, the beat is slow: perfect for us.

Marc

Lavallee

Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:47 pm

And we have a common agreement. That did not take long. Looking forward to show a video of that. B)

Marc

BigBear

Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:07 am

Lavallee wrote:
And we have a common agreement. That did not take long. Looking forward to show a video of that. B)

Marc
Piece of cake!! Can't wait for the vid! Cheers and keep those whippersnappers in line!! :cheer:

TGMatt

Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:26 am

I would humbly add a target song in here..

Lucky man,

For a few reasons..

It has strumming and lead..

and the song obviously has a meaning.
Another one is Hotel California

and of course wish you were here..

Lavallee

Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:04 am

Appreciate the suggestions Matt, they are also good songs that we could work on. Sometimes when you are too close to the tree, you cannot see the forrest...

Marc

Chasplaya

Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:47 am

TGMatt wrote:
I would humbly add a target song in here..

Lucky man,

For a few reasons..

It has strumming and lead..

and the song obviously has a meaning.
Another one is Hotel California

and of course wish you were here..
Although the lead for Lucky man is not difficult Matt it's not in the lesson. And as for meaning this was written when Greg was about 12 so we can take from that what we want or imagine...

leeb

Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:13 pm

How about that timeless 3 chord wonder that can be played in many different ways and still sound familiar.
I am talking "Sweet Home Alabama" Neil Young fans please ignor :P
I think it would be fun.

TGMatt

Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:29 pm

Just going back to Lucky man..

My point was that you can sing it with a smile and anew interpretation, but also on a live show about 3 shows ago or so , Neil and I played lucky man..

couple of things..

You can strum the song, and their is a lead part that uses and practices scales..so it is useful that way, use the live review if you like, it is tru Neil hasnt taught the other part but Im betting that you can do that and make a leap their..

Anyways love to hear how you went mate..

A couple of other general points..dire straits have great bass lines and layered guitar, as do most U2 songs..

Cheers

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic