Song suggestion to jam with my sons

jayswett

Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:39 pm

My immediate thought when I read your post was to suggest Melissa by the Allman Brothers. Plenty of room for lead improvisation, sounds great, fairly easy to learn, and I'm sure there's room for a bass player somehow. Down by the River is another song which would allow for seemingly endless improvisation. Once again, the rhythm portion is pretty easy and sounds great.

Lavallee

Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:21 am

Thanks for all of your suggestions, I like sultan of swing, can do the rhythm quite well maybe a future project.
Marc

Chasplaya

Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:24 am

leeb wrote:
How about that timeless 3 chord wonder that can be played in many different ways and still sound familiar.
I am talking "Sweet Home Alabama" Neil Young fans please ignor :P
I think it would be fun.
This is a great song to play, and contrary to popular opinion Neil Young didn't have issues with the band nor did they with him. Second Helping, was the band's breakthrough hit, and featured their most popular single, "Sweet Home Alabama" (#8 on the charts in August 1974), a response to Neil Young's "Alabama" and "Southern Man." (Young and Van Zant were not rivals, but fans of each other's music and good friends; Young even wrote the song "Powderfinger" for the band, but they never recorded it.Van Zant, meanwhile, can be seen on the cover of Street Survivors wearing a Neil Young t-shirt. And young can be seen carrying a Southern Flag on one of his albums. Young played Sweet Home Alabama at a tribute concert after the plane crash.

BigBear

Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:37 am

Lavallee wrote:
Thanks for all of your suggestions, I like sultan of swing, can do the rhythm quite well maybe a future project.
Marc

Marc- that is not an easy song to play as I recall. Especially to jam to. You are a brave man indeed if you tackle that one!!

Lavallee

Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:15 pm

We will start with Nothing else matters (learned the finger picking from Neil and I have guitar Pro for the bass and second guitar) and once we can do that one (with proper timing)I had to promise to do the Trooper from Iron Maiden which I doubt we will ever to do (one of those 200 miles an hour tune). So Sultans of swing is not for next week.

Marc

jayswett

Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:21 pm

Just curious. How did this project turn out? Any chance you would post a video?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic